480H-54 collecting dust.

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
86jag
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have an HLG-480H-54 sitting here, collecting dust. Can i Build a HLG-550 V2 with this driver? Thinking of buying two of these: https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/c ... uble-combo

If possible, will i have to run them in series or parallel?

Thank you in advance.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Parallel.

I suspect the real HLG-550 has an hlg-480h-48 for a better match but your -54 will work, will max out around 436W.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

welcome to the forum first off..

and yes. you can wire that in parallel to DIY a hlg550.. I have the same driver pushing 6 288 v1's atm. 😁 3 sets of 2 board chains...

only difference like shimbob mentioned, since they are 48v and it's 54, you should only get around that 440w Mark.. because there is still a tiny bit of voltage use not being used... since I have V 1's on my -54, wide open I get 475w once warmed up, from the wall on my kilowatt meter..

also if that is a A type dimming.. it will be over the 440w ( closer to the original 480w) on full power.. a types always over clock their numbers it seems.. my 120h-54a pulls 135w from the wall 😁

again welcome
86jag
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the info. I first got this Driver to build a 360 elite, but received the wrong driver. MOre info on my little issue here : viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4066

So, if you guys had this driver, what would you guys build with it for optimal performance ?
TPTB73
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

If I were you, I would get four of these boards with heat sinks from Atreum. They are exactly 54 volts so you won't run into any problems there. And, it will be a little cheaper than HLG, but same quality, and, frankly, better customer service. Good luck getting a response from HLG if you have a problem. These Atreum boards use the top-of-the-line latest LM301b diodes also. It's $75 for the board/heatsink combo. Plus, with the four boards/heatsinks individually separated, you have more freedom in respect to spacing and coverage.

https://atreumlighting.com/products/atr ... ung-lm301b
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

TPTB73 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:57 am
frankly, better customer service. Good luck getting a response from HLG if you have a problem.
What? HLG is consistently praised for their customer service. They've been experiencing some growing pains but they still rock.
TPTB73
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:55 pm
TPTB73 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:57 am
frankly, better customer service. Good luck getting a response from HLG if you have a problem.
What? HLG is consistently praised for their customer service. They've been experiencing some growing pains but they still rock.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. I have asked them a question 3 times, the first time of month ago and have not received a response. Also, there are plenty of people on another Forum I am on that have had technical problems with the kits they were sent and they are also having troubles receiving replies. Apparently, they are complaining that hlg is now devoting their customer service to commercial customers.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I must be special or something... it seems anytime I msg HLG about anything( normally technical stuff, not your run of the mill questions ).. I get a response within the day.. a lot of the time within a few hours.. heck Amit and I have sent 5-6 responses in a hour..

people also got to understand that they ( just Steve and Amit.)are probably trying to read 500+ e-mails a day, and when people are asking stuff like "will a 550 cover a 5x5" or something to that nature, they got to "try" to sort thru that crap cuz someone can't read the damn web page!! 😄 ( I know it's not people on here are asking these dumb of questions.. but they do receive "a lot" of questions like that)

there's always the phone number also 😁