top build project (needing help)

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
rocknrollz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi Guys,
I'm new here. i have been reading a lot of threads on this forum and i'm about to start a build project.
the interested area will be 1.2 x 3 mt (4x10) in 2 fixtures.
I am able to find any sort of metals and I have a shop plenty of tools to build structures.
I want to build a top light mainly for autos or just flowering in case i will set up a tent just for clones and vegging.
I live in europe so american stuff might get very expensive if it's not imported already.
I would like not to exceed 1.2 1.3 kw power and I will use Co2.
I saw any sort of strips / boards / cobs but if someone that has experience want to help me out to build a yielding machine it would be great
Cheers
:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

Normally the forum advises to go for around 30w/ sqf, if supplimenting co2 can easily go for 40w. For your space thats 1200-1600w.

There are a lot of ways you can approach this. The bridgelux eb gen2 strips with meanwell ELG drivers seem to me to give very cheap builds, I just built a 240w light for 2x4 and it cost me about 135e including framing.

In the samsung F-series there is a 4ft dual diode strip which would probably take the price for ease of building, 4-6 strips would cover a 4x4. In the newer H-inFlux series they have a lot of horticular strips with the newer lm301b diode. Since your doing a large area you get to benefit from the awesome price drops digikey gives for larger volumes. The price drop will likely make Samsung the better choice for you, since bridgelux hardly gives any.

Besides that there are QB's and some more special strips, but they are more available in the US
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
rocknrollz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks for the answer :)

I was also thinking about 10 hlg 288 v2 boards from the uk seller. It's not cheap and just for boards it would be 900 euros but at least it's good stuff.
whould it be possible to run 5 boards with the 600w driver, so i would have better coverage even tho i'm underrating the boards. does it make sense? (lol)
cheers
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

rocknrollz wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:31 pm
Thanks for the answer :)

I was also thinking about 10 hlg 288 v2 boards from the uk seller. It's not cheap and just for boards it would be 900 euros but at least it's good stuff.
whould it be possible to run 5 boards with the 600w driver, so i would have better coverage even tho i'm underrating the boards. does it make sense? (lol)
cheers
welcome to the forum first off 😁

yes, you can definitely run 5 on a 600w driver.. but you'll have to wire in parallel.. ( I can only find 600w hlg's in CV types... hlg-600h-48 would be the one you want for version 2 QB's) you'll have to do 2 rows of 2 boards and a single board row.. ( http://ledgardener.com/forum/viewtopic. ... e&start=30 similar wiring to my upgrade with 6 boards ... page 4 starts the upgrade )

if you would prefer to wire in series, I would grab 12 QB's and 4 hlg-320h-c2100 's.. that way you got 4 rows of 3 boards you can evenly spread out over the space... and be at a similar wattage..

you could even just make them independent bars, so if you need to throw some light in a 2x4 somewhere other than the rest, you can 😁 the flexibility with modular light builds is always beneficial..

again welcome to the forum 😁
rocknrollz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi there. Thanks to u too.
Yeah 4 by 320w would be good too.
Is it better to wire it in series? What are the pros and cons?

I have seen the market going towards 3500k instead 3000k. Is it more more beneficial and if it is, is it better vor the veg or flowering stage.

Would u also add some 660 nm strips on the set up? Do u guys think that it'd increase the yield?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

It's fashionable, and makes sense from an academic perspective, but I have yet to see someone who could predict what it will give in terms of quality or quantity. Reds are definitely an area that receives a lot of interest, probably in a while general knowledge on light recipes will have advanced...

I've been growing with 3800k and now used a 3000k. I was worried that they would stretch but I didn't really see too much difference. One El Chapo is known for being irritatingly short, and she grew nicer under the 3000k. Anyway I was surprised how well it worked for the two week veg.

I mostly build smaller elements that I can juggle around, you don't have to take that many in a higher k to cover your veg needs, and you can use them in flower with stretchier strains or individuals.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
rocknrollz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi guys I finally decided what to build.
I want to use bridg eb gen 2 1120 mm strips

I would like to build 4 modules made of 10 strips. Would The hlg 320-42b the right driver for each one?

Thanks
MR. Amsterdam
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I would wait a bit more for the EB series Gen 3 that can be ordered next week.