Samsung sets new Photon Efficacy Level

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Aloha check this research from MSU and Erik Runkle's lab. Publication Preview
Substituting green or far-red radiation for blue radiation induces shade avoidance and promotes growth in lettuce and kale
Article
Feb 2019Environmental and Experimental Botany
[object Object]Qingwu Meng[object Object]Nathan Kelly[object Object]Erik S. Runkle
Although red (R; 600–700 nm) and blue (B; 400–500 nm) radiation can be sufficient for plants grown indoors, other wavebands such as green (G; 500–600 nm) and far red (FR; 700–800 nm) can also regulate photosynthesis, plant morphology, and secondary metabolism. The objective of this study was to determine how substitutions of B radiation with G and/or FR radiation influence growth of leafy greens grown indoors under light-emitting diodes (LEDs). We postulated G and/or FR radiation (and low B radiation) would trigger shade-avoidance responses and thus promote biomass accumulation through increased radiation interception. We grew lettuce (Lactuca sativa ‘Rex’ and ‘Rouxai’) and kale (Brassica oleracea var. sabellica ‘Siberian’) under warm-white (WW) LEDs at 180 μmol·m –2 ·s –1 (400–800 nm) for 9–11 days and then transplanted seedlings into a hydroponic system with ten different lighting treatments. The air temperature (20 °C), photoperiod (20 h), total photon flux density (180 μmol·m –2 ·s –1 ; 400–800 nm), and fertility were maintained the same across treatments. In addition to WW and equalized-white (EQW) controls, combinations of B (peak =449 nm), G (peak =526 nm), and FR (peak =733 nm) LEDs, each at 0, 20, 40, or 60 μmol·m –2 ·s –1 , were delivered in a R background (peak =664 nm) of 120 μmol·m –2 ·s –1 . One month after seed sow, we collected data on shoot mass, leaf morphology, and pigmentation. Substituting G or FR radiation for B radiation promoted leaf expansion and increased shoot mass but decreased chlorophyll concentrations in all crops. For example, lettuce ‘Rex’ grown under 60 μmol·m –2 ·s –1 of G +120 μmol·m –2 ·s –1 of R radiation was 38% greater in plant diameter and 54% greater in shoot dry mass compared to those under 60 μmol·m –2 ·s –1 of B +120 μmol·m –2 ·s –1 of R radiation. Substituting B radiation with G radiation at 60 μmol·m –2 ·s –1 also reduced red coloration of lettuce ‘Rouxai’. At the same photon flux density, FR radiation increased leaf expansion and decreased red foliage coloration more than G radiation. We conclude that substituting G and/or FR radiation for B radiation triggers shade-avoidance responses, accelerating plant growth while decreasing pigment concentrations.
Artificialsun
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Chiefrunningphist wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:05 am
How are you doing your stencil?
At first I used a 20G blunt tip dispensing needle and applied it by hand on each pad but once I committed to transitioning my entire indoor garden to LEDs from HID, a stencil made it a helluva lot less work.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:21 am
I hate Chinese copy companies. The more people deal directly with China the less money there is for true innovation. Good stuff costs money and not just the initial outlay, There is a lot of time spent and money developing products. China is cheap but in the end dealing with them for a few boards costs everyone. You may think your purchase doesn't matter with innovators but it truly does.
These are difficult issues for sure, but I feel too simplistic approaches easily create a type of weaponized rhetoric that serves more to justify our behavior and support our competitiveness rather then describe reality as it is :)

There has been a tremendous improvement in the way creativity is treated in the western markets, but ask a variety of people aiming into creative careers how they were treated before they are finished building a reputation. Since we are at a certain point of social evolution, we actually have an over abundance of creativity in the west, so it's quite common to do your first few larger operations for free. I used to do sound engineering, and the issue did not only affect us, all the people in creative positions from actors, to cartoon drawers, to props managers were all describing the phenomena. Famous philosophers have written on the abuse of creativity in the west.

It also seems to be quite common to patent other peoples creations, a situation which is often born simply from one group having creativity but a lack of resources. I used to be a manager in Europe's biggest IT market research firm, and we basically sold data to competitors. If you think about it, our entire market was a higher lever process of stealing creativity.

Anyway, the flow of creative minds between China and the west turned net positive for China over a decade ago. The head of Finlands greatest design University was invited to China some years back, and came back somewhat shell shocked. He gave up any moderate poise he had ever had, and did a hysterical media circle on how the entire west has no chance. He had told the chinese what his vision on a perfect design university was, and to his shock the Chinese had just decided to build it. He said that in a couple of decades the worlds greatest designers will come from Beijing.

Having being so clever to create a market where we sell 1$ shoes for 150$, but an economy where productivity is shunned, we are very much at risk from our own inability to create raw value for markets.

Now that China is somewhat developed, we are starting to approach the time when the 5 technologies they banked on for this development round start becoming a reality. This should be the moment Chinas advantage starts shifting and becoming the same as the west. But its not clear that the west is ready for that. For now it has been the west which has taken a very aggressive stance in these areas, unable to compete, we seem to be just as eager to give up standards of good behavior as the Chinese.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Chiefrunningphist
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Artificialsun wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:12 am
Chiefrunningphist wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:05 am
How are you doing your stencil?
At first I used a 20G blunt tip dispensing needle and applied it by hand on each pad but once I committed to transitioning my entire indoor garden to LEDs from HID, a stencil made it a helluva lot less work.
I thought I read you could get a vinyl stencil cut at a local print shop? Did you get a steel one cut? I'm looking for ways to get a stencil cut currently. The steel price is $$$
Artificialsun
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Yep I shelled out for a steel one. I’ve been planning this for quite some time and my grow space is fairly large. My investment into lighting wasn’t small, but considering the quality of the fixtures and the size of the grow I feel like I stole the bank. I’m less than 3k into it, and all the major spending is more or less over. Now I’m just trucking along building them and switching out my HID lamps. I noticed the difference in power consumption already and I’m only about 25% finished. Certainly easier to manage the climate. My plants seem happier also, but it’s early to make that call.
Artificialsun
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

The_Mouse_Police wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:10 pm
Artificialsun wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:56 pm
They’re from Kingbrite. I wouldn’t want to trust most Alibaba suppliers too much. It is just too hard to verify their claims, but I’m pretty comfortable using their circuit boards.
Cool. I don't know that I want to do many boards with hundreds of emitters each, but I'll keep them in mind if I want to experiment some, in the future. Do you specify the circuitry, or actually send them CAD or Gerber files?

Nah I didn’t mess with the gerber files. I just shopped around a lot until I found bare boards for a reasonable price, then ordered a metric assload of them lol
PurpleGunRack
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

As far as I can tell the LM301h specs is exactly the same as the LM301b, except for the anti-sulfurization.... :?:

And it looks like the price for LM301b 3000K has gone up :roll: