18 AWG wire with hlg-480h-48 quesion

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
optimization
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Question regarding the suitability of 18 AWG wire for a circuit that has 48 volts and 10 amps on the dc side (16 led strips to make 0.625a /strip).

How suitable is 18 AWG wire with this amount of amperage? I've found conflicting information ranging from 7.5a to 16a.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I would suggest a 15AWG to be sure
Not saying it won't work with 18 AWG but I prefer safety over a few dollars.

I would personally use 14 AWG for that set up but I can be a little over the top.

Best place to buy good connector cable is generally your local automotive shop.

I have seen wires melt on too many occasions so I don't risk at all because of this.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
optimization
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks, yeah I will probably run 15 Awg then. Just needed to double check that my doubts about 18awg were valid. As most information available I've found seem to only be relevant to when most setups were predominately done in series.

Another question, would there be any advantage to running solid as opposed to stranded core wiring? Cheers.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Solid is easier to push into connectors. I always use stranded with a bit of solder or a boot lace crimp. Stranded is more flexible and better for me.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:56 am
I would suggest a 15AWG to be sure
Not saying it won't work with 18 AWG but I prefer safety over a few dollars.

I would personally use 14 AWG for that set up but I can be a little over the top.

Best place to buy good connector cable is generally your local automotive shop.

I have seen wires melt on too many occasions so I don't risk at all because of this.
I'm the same way. I always shoot for overkill because I'm paranoid.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Adam
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Just look at what's already on the driver.
SJOW 17AWG 2C 05RN-F × × & 2 1.0mm2