Making the best of a dumb situation...

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
JayKell
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:38 am
Cheapest option will probably the cree strips from Cutter, 8pcs 4k cri90 on one driver for veg and 3kcri90 on another driver for flower. This will give you 3500K when both turned on at the same power.
16 strips total, you can up the current with the AB driver to make use of the full driver potential.
Can repeat this for the other sections also.
If you did not want to use heatsinks you could add in another 4 strips of each color and it would run at about 2.6 micromouls per joule with very even coverage at the board level.
If you buy from cutter get them to supply you with dim pots also so you can adjust things to maintain stretch. It will be a close proximity grow and you will run out of height so being able to tune can be very important especially during stretch. 4K cri90 has enough red in it to do full cycle but it depends on the strain also as to how much it will stretch.
Thanks a lot for taking a look, and sorry for not posting in Metric as well, should've known better with the user base here.

Do you think I will need to run 8 strips per driver to get close enough to use these in my cabinets as they are? Is it a serious loss of output to run them harder (~1A/strip, 145mA/Diode) even though it's within their guidelines? Datasheet says these chips max @240mA, although I'm not trying to go anywhere near there. At that level it may be cheaper for me to build a bigger room than to double my strip budget, I have plenty of construction materials laying about. That being said, I had intended to get 10 more strips eventually, bringing me to around 667mA/strip (95mA/Diode), and although it eats the safety margin out of my budget I could swing it now if it's a better idea. Heatsinks still predicted necessary at that level? At $3.50 each its still cheaper initially to do heatsinks and high output but it would be a savings if I need to do it anyway.

As for the bridgelux strips, I had initially disregarded them as I'd need 12 per driver to get to 700mA/strip but that about equals out with 6x cri90 strips per driver, would they be a better option? Just thought they didn't match up to my driver as well but I'd gladly reconsider pretty much anything at this point if it comes from someone with the voice of reason and experience...

Any other suggestions? Am I doing it right or should I just wait until I have a better space? I don't make money from this (and not much in general) but I want to produce the best product I can for myself and sick friends. Almost bought a 315w cmh or 2 and built a room accordingly, but I'm trying to stick with this as it just seems like a better and less wasteful system...
Rocket Soul
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Whenever you can run more leds softer its a good idea to do it. Better spread and efficiency, diffused light and lower hanging height all compounds into "sum is greater than parts" benefits.

Not sure how you were going to run those eb strips, running in looooong series is not adviced due to voltage drop.
JayKell
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Rocket Soul wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:47 pm
Whenever you can run more leds softer its a good idea to do it. Better spread and efficiency, diffused light and lower hanging height all compounds into "sum is greater than parts" benefits.
This is exactly why I’m going for a strip build; better distribution. I was hoping to get a minimal strip count to start with and more as I can afford them but it’s looking like I may need more to start than I had originally planned on in order to maintain my short distances (~12 inches/300mm in flower)
Rocket Soul wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:47 pm
Not sure how you were going to run those eb strips, running in looooong series is not adviced due to voltage drop.
Maybe I’m doing this wrong, but I was under the impression that an hlg-150h-48ab would take ~6 parallel sets of 2 in series?
Rocket Soul
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

No, youre right. I thought you meant 6 strips in series on a cc driver which isnt the best idea. Strings of 2 is fine. But you could do as many strings of 2 as you want on that driver.
JayKell
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Cool, thanks. If I may ask, what setup are you running, and at what power level and distance? Teknik has me scared with his recommendation of 8 strips and I know better than to dispute him. Debating moving back towards the f562b just for availability of data and cheap strips. Per Diode is cheaper with cutter but they're different chips and I have no idea how to compare them beyond calculating mA/diode, forward voltage and percent of max drive... Looking forward to experimenting but I don't want to have an effed up baseline due to my inexperience with indoors. Never really played with spectrum beyond moms and an early, looong veg indoors before the girls got shuffled out.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I tend to overboard with how many strips I suggest, it does make a difference to how it all works together that's why I say to use so many, you could run the cutter strips hard upto 1 Amp each so that would only be 3 per driver providing you have the heatsink.
It depends on your budget. They do work best if there are heaps of them all the way across your grow room though.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
JayKell
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:09 pm
I tend to overboard with how many strips I suggest, it does make a difference to how it all works together that's why I say to use so many, you could run the cutter strips hard upto 1 Amp each so that would only be 3 per driver providing you have the heatsink.
It depends on your budget. They do work best if there are heaps of them all the way across your grow room though.
It's a very valid point though, and one I forgot/overlooked: there is a point where intensity will be too high to have the boards so close, and it will be difficult to move them if I mount them to the doors, so I will need to dim. At this point am I better off running 3 dimmed drivers or 2 somewhat less dimmed with an equal amount of boards, say 12? I'm guessing system efficiency goes down with dimming the driver? Board efficiency should be the same for an equal load I would think...
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Your room is very small, 300W will be enough but you need a lot of strips run soft to get the results you will want. If you only use a few strips you will get hot spots and it won't be good, this is why it's possible that the bridgelux strips will work for you, run 2 in series to match to your driver then make a parallel connection, repeat this for as many strips as you like.
If you are on a budget I am pretty sure cutter still has a heap of gen1 strip to clear then may sell them to you for next to nothing. More strips make a difference to overall efficiency as you are spreading everything out and your plants will appreciate it more.
I think the gen1 strips are about $4 each, at that price you could run 20 off a single driver and not need Heat sinks
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

https://www.cutter.com.au/product-categ ... eb-series/

Cutter may make you a good deal on these to get rid of them as they are an old model
JayKell
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:31 pm
https://www.cutter.com.au/product-categ ... eb-series/

Cutter may make you a good deal on these to get rid of them as they are an old model
At first glance they don't seem much better performance for the price, but I have nothing to lose in asking, so I did, waiting for them to email me. But 20 strips per driver is 400mA/strip, I thought they didn't need sinking below ~700mA? At about $2/heatsink it's more cost effective than strips, I think I just need enough strips to get to about 12 inches/30mm to get going, then I can build efficiency later? I can shift some stuff around, but this is my beginner setup, and I am poor, so there is a budget... I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish either though, so thank you for the advice. Will definitely consider them if the price is right, otherwise I'll just run the 90cri, not populate one driver and use its strips to run 6 each in flower 666mA/strip at full blast. Sound solid? I will confess to being eager to get started, but I'm old enough to know the dangers of rushing in half-cocked. Just want to get it close to right and not have a pile of aluminum and regrets in a couple years :lol: