Making the best of a dumb situation...

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

More lights spread out everywhere will give you a better result even if the figures on paper do not look as impressive. If you are on a budget buy what you need to get by and you can always add more later if you want.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
JayKell
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:49 am
More lights spread out everywhere will give you a better result even if the figures on paper do not look as impressive. If you are on a budget buy what you need to get by and you can always add more later if you want.
Thanks for the reminder on theory vs practice, I needed that...

Edit :they updated the pricing. 100 strips is ~$530 plus shipping. Too rich for my blood. $265 +shipping for 50 strips more my speed, but at this point its pretty much dollar for dollar with their cri90 strips at equal loads. Would you go for the 50 EB Gen ones (need to run each parallel group in 2s anyway) or 25 mixed cri90?
Frank Cannon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hey Jay, lets get Sensei Prawns comments as he has a heap of experience running strips also. Between TK and Prawn I promise you they will set you up in good stead. You and me are very similar I think, do it once do it right but impatient at the same time lol.

Right, now where is the madprofessor @Prawn Connery
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Because of your room size I would recommend a tunable set up, 50 strips would be heaps, it can become difficult to keep the wiring neat and it does get in the way, taping it with duct tape to walls and top helps if any is left loose.
Rocket Soul
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Hey Jay

We run several different setups, very happy with the Vesta strips. 12 over what is basicly a 4x2, on 6 heatsinks and a hlg240. So about 20w per strip and 40w per heatsink. Heat sinks are 60x30x3mm alu u channel. Running only the warm white 90 cri channel for flower on the vesta. Fixture hangs around 20-25cm over cannopy.
This fixture beat out other spectrums and higher power levels. Faster flower development, bigger yield and stickier buds. If you can get a 2700k 90cri fixture for flower id really recommend it. And i concur with teknik, get many strips especially if you can find a good deal. The advantages of leveraging diode count, in todays market, is in my opinion greater than spending your money on latest gen top bin premium diodes. As long as you go with something half decent, like yesteryears wonder diode.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

My only concern with @JayKell is in regards to height, from what he showed us he doesn't have a lot to play with. Stretch will be a problem and keeping a higher color temperature will reduce it a fair bit. It will of course depend a lot on the strains.
This is why at full blast I say 3500K cri90. It does make a difference to height and still grows awesome. A lot of growing methods can change outcomes also. So there really isn't a correct answer to everything. Side lights do help when heights are restricted.
Rocket Soul
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I agree. But thats also the good thing about the vestas, you can get a very nice middle spectrum by using both channels, close to 3800k 90cri.

Vesta strips have becone my goto answer so many times recently....
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

This is also why I'm considering not just recreating it but making a properly suited product for DIY.

I can do it already but concerned about price and having left over stock. I will get quite a lot of tests done next month and make a decision if I am happy with it all.
JayKell
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Still running numbers in between work, I'll post back tonight. Forgot about the Vestas, discounted them when I thought I had b series drivers, thank you for that...
Rocket Soul
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:41 pm
This is also why I'm considering not just recreating it but making a properly suited product for DIY.

I can do it already but concerned about price and having left over stock. I will get quite a lot of tests done next month and make a decision if I am happy with it all.
If i could redo a vesta id go for 2700k 90cri with some added 660 and 3500k 90cri with some added phosphor blue/wide band uv. It buggs me to have half of the strip useless in flower as the mid spectrum is inferior to just warm white. We didnt notice any extra stretch in flower with 2700k.