SPECTRUM ANALYSIS TOOLS

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
gravity
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

What are you guys who are into Spectrum Analysis using to get a snapshot?

Assuming there are multiple options, what would the best option be in these ranges:

- discount range
- mid range
- price is no object range

Thanks!
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Assentek has one of the most popular cheap ones.
You then jump up to sekonic or UPRtek.

I have really expensive equipment but it's not hand held
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
gravity
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Can you post some links?

What is "really expensive" in dollars?

Where can I find more detailed discussion on this topic?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I think the Assentek is about $1000, not sure on the Sekonic but at a guess I would say $2,000. UPRtek horticultural meter $4,000

My big test machine is over $80,000AUD

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4301
You can see a video of how it works in the link
gravity
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

You recommend UPRtek PG200N? Thoughts on UPRtek MK350N PREMIUM?

PG200N - $2800 USD
https://www.gamma-sci.com/products/pg20 ... -par-meter

MK350N PREMIUM - $1900 USD
https://www.gamma-sci.com/products/mk35 ... ectrometer

Thanks for any help, it is hard for me to see the practical differences.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

If you want the PG200 I can hook you up as I recently became the Australian distributor for it.
I need some time to play around with it some more, to be honest I am not all that impressed with it for the price at this stage.
One advantage it has is the sensor is waterproof and that can be a big advantage in a commercial environment.
After mid next month I should have a little more time on my hands to go through it all.
gravity
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thoughts on the MK350N PREMIUM?

The Sekonic looks like a photography oriented tool. The Assentek I'm writing off because it is low end.

This is for hobbyist use in conjunction with micro greens, which IMO have not even come close to hitting their potential in the mainstream commercial space.

I'm interested in testing some of the abundant peer reviewed research out there regarding managing light during grow cycle, which as you probably know is only 8-21 days. With an eye to commercial effort down the road.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

The thing about the PG200 is they told me they will have spectrum data for all types of plants so you can pick and choose a different species and spectrum to suit. I have not seen it in the software yet but I know that was the plan. I am also interested in micro greens because of the same reasons you mentioned and plan on having a full indoor garden.
The others will measure spectrum and PAR, I really need some extra time to go through the PG200, if you are not concerned about the price then it's probably the better option. I have only played around with it for about 2 hours, it is clunky but most of these things are.
I am a little rushed for time for the next few weeks but should be able to tell you everything about it after that.
I am hoping that Viso will get into the hand held game but for now they don't want to as they are too busy. I am having a meeting with them next week and will bring it up again. Viso will do everything right if they get into the game and the software will be easy to use as well as look great.
gravity
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I am concerned with price, that's why I was asking about the MK350. It is 2/3 the price of the PG2000.

I look for tools that are good at a specific task as a way of managing cost. The software side of PG2000 (plant specific) sounds cool in principle. But I'd rather have something that produces accurate spectrum measurement, with ability to export data, than additional layers of analysis at greater expense. That said I'm open to being wrong if the software proves to be amazing.

There is a lot of expensive research available about maximizing fresh weight and nutrient value of microgreens by managing light. I want to reproduce similar results and trends using off the shelf LED strips.

Something as simple as independently controlled arrays (using multiple drivers) of strips in a single configuration, software controlled. I see studies where the last five days are under pure blue (430nm) to spike nutrient profile. Just one example, obviously there are many.

Simple diagram to illustrate.

TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

There is nothing wrong with the Assentek, it's just priced really well. It does have good software also. It saturates a little but with microgreens you should be fine as the lights arnt as bright. There maybe others around, I'm just giving you information from memory rather than doing the research to give you a comprehensive answer.