1000ppfd

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
kaneh_bosm
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

How many 280mm eb strips ran at what wattage covering 6sq/ft would average around 1000 ppfd?
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

kaneh_bosm wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:31 pm
How many 280mm eb strips ran at what wattage covering 6sq/ft would average around 1000 ppfd?
Just eyeballing it, you'd need around 300 watts of power. I dont know how many strips that would equate to. Its really hard to calculate PPFD because you'd have to build a three dimensional model that takes into account the size and spread of a light that hasnt been built yet, how high the lights are from the plants, and the reflective material and its distance from the light. Are we talking about averaging 1000PPFD across the entire 6 square feet, or just in the middle. Most lightd you'll find can get to 900-1000PPFD in the center, but drop off to 500 a foot or so away. Also, you can run the strips between 1-100% and you could run fewer strips harder and get the same light, but it would run hotter and you'd need to factor that into your calculation.

I wish it the was an easy calculator for this, but I dont know of it. Looking at what HLG has done, 40 watts per squarefoot is a good metric to get into the 900-1000 PPFD range, but since the EB strips are less efficient, Id bump that up to 50w per square foot.
kaneh_bosm
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

that sounds good, thanks for the input.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

I'd agree - around 300W should get you into that range. Call it 24-30 strips at ~500mA each.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!