Growers choice LEDs,are they as good as advertised?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Indiled
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I have built my own systems but with adding 660nm and other colors the cost of DIY is starting to approach just buying a mass produced product.Then there’s time costs.

I was looking at building a 5 bar system that is 70watts per bar,4 rows of diodes per bar,but the cost is very close to growers choice and growers choice has 8 bars versus 5.

How does growers choice diodes compare to Samsung lm301b or what are some opinions on growers choice led systems?
The control panel isn’t needed but it’s a very nice tool.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Maybe post a link to the specific product you are referring to
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Indiled
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Here’s a link.
Maybe they’re not as well known as I thought.
I don’t know what brand of leds they use for white but for 660nm they use Osram.

https://www.growersc.com/roi-e680
Labgrown
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

imo a build with PLC's new photo boost strips should smash the 680. possibly mix in some 4000k 97cri strips to help fill in near UV, cyan and far red. or just grab some reptile bulbs.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I think you can look at efficiency and spectrum, both are fine and pretty much at the general price level of the industry. They say they use top bin osram diodes, but my guess would be that this is a fluence copy from asia, so I would not take them at their word.

Comparing to lm301b's the real question would be the reliability of the bin info, their spectrums are pretty identical, and without trust the bins and related efficiency figures are hard to estimate.

I'd be surprised if PLC strips would 'smash' these. Do they have any objective benefit? I guess with the PLC's you could at least trust bin info. The light is all rather generic, so you really need to calculate efficiencies and watts/$

For 1000$ you could make a much cooler fixture your self, but its all about what your into, and it would take more time. And time is money, so...
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
slayking0113
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Never DIY, I use the mars sp250, the chips are new SMD epistar, Meanwell driver, for your reference: https://www.mars-hydro.com/led-grow-lig ... r-for-sale
Elevator Dude
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Your seriously saying never diy on a diy forum? Mars may be making decent lights these days but that has not always been the case and they have historically led the charge for much of the misinformation about led lights.

Truth in advertising is something I value and I'll never trust mars or any of the dozens of mars clones out there. I have grown some great pot with platinum led fixtures but once I got a clue it's been diy all the way and regret wasting money on commercial fixtures that could have been spent on something worth having in my grow room

Just my 2 cents but if you ask me always diy unless your a mouth breather that's going to burn thier house down or electrocute themselves.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I will personally never believe that Mars will make a decent light. They lied and lied and lied for so long they fucked so many people over that I hope thier factory burns to the ground. No matter how much they improve or end up making something decent I feel that rewarding these frauds that stole money with all the false claims they have made is absolutely wrong.

My personal opinion is noone should ever purchase anything from Mars hydro ever.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
slayking0113
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Elevator Dude wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:40 pm
Your seriously saying never diy on a diy forum? Mars may be making decent lights these days but that has not always been the case and they have historically led the charge for much of the misinformation about led lights.

Truth in advertising is something I value and I'll never trust mars or any of the dozens of mars clones out there. I have grown some great pot with platinum led fixtures but once I got a clue it's been diy all the way and regret wasting money on commercial fixtures that could have been spent on something worth having in my grow room

Just my 2 cents but if you ask me always diy unless your a mouth breather that's going to burn thier house down or electrocute themselves.
Hi dude, I mean that I never have the diy experience :oops:
Yes, they are making decent light now and I also use it, they are great, by now, I love them so much, high quantity and the nice price. I don't have any other new light plan.
Why do you say they led the misinformation about led lights? is this not a common problem in the industry? exaggerate the facts and mislead consumers. But at least, the mars do something, they invite the grower to review their light and give the truth, you can find the truth the light test on the you tube
have you ever use the Mars light before? bad experience? so there will be such a prejudice? :?:
slayking0113
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:46 pm
I will personally never believe that Mars will make a decent light. They lied and lied and lied for so long they fucked so many people over that I hope thier factory burns to the ground. No matter how much they improve or end up making something decent I feel that rewarding these frauds that stole money with all the false claims they have made is absolutely wrong.

My personal opinion is noone should ever purchase anything from Mars hydro ever.
As you say that's your personal opinion. also, it seems that mars is not clever on the trick, they don't let you fall into the trap :lol: :lol:
My personal opinions, if you don't own a chance to use mars version, how did you know which is good or not? for SP250, this is the best light for me, white light, and high brighten, my plants love them.