Coating lights for moisture/enviroment protection?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
rubegoldberg2
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I was wondering if there are any recommended ways to protect our LEDS?

my first build is bridgelux strip lights. I've noticed some commercial lights with exposed LED strips have either rubbery coating, or some other smooth plasticy coating.

Would spray-on poly-urethane work without diminishing things? any other recommendations?
The_Mouse_Police
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

If it's safe for the packages and phosphors, sure. But, I don't know what is and isn't. For LEDs with a lens protecting the phosphors, no problem, but mid-powers tend to be bare.
rubegoldberg2
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

https://www.chemtronics.com/konform-led-2

just found this stuff... i think the smallest size package could probably last me a lifetime too
The_Mouse_Police
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

It's also about $100 for the pint. Ouch. Others seem in the same ballpark, using keywords found there.

An enclosure with an acrylic diffuser attached to a gasket looks more cost effective, without a specialty paint shop handy.
0 to 220
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Great topic, I'm interested in this and waterproofing. Unfortunately I have nothing to add, the coating is very interesting. I want to keep them clean.

Actually, one of my dreams was to have water proof leds and use indiscriminate top watering, like rain, from the ceiling. It would be the coolest thing ever I'm sure you can use rain-ponics, making it rain perpetually, which will also cool your led. That's getting stupid but such a crazy setup would make me laugh every time

edit: Lol, I was definitely stoned when writing this post. Why the fuck would anybody want it to rain perpetually on plants that are susceptible to mold? I had the idea once, but it certainly isn't my dream. Man... Haha
Last edited by 0 to 220 on Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Adam
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Search strip extrusions for bathrooms. They have a very high IP rating. Not great for thermals as they are usually thin and lack surface area, but if you were to run eb slims soft it would work.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

There is a lot of waterproof housing on alibaba... not sure if this spray would have any benefits?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"