Full spectrum LED strips tape for growing succulents and indoor plants

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
antwebwalker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Would it make that much of a difference?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

probably not but you can buy it and try it, only way to know for sure is to do a comparison
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
StilLearning101wtf
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey!

So admittedly I have only been in the LED game for a few years. I still even ask questions about durability and people's experiences with chips to get an overall picture of peoples' performance with new chips and power LED drivers.

I believe I saw a link which led to a product with the "first 99 CRI." I'm going to cast my doubts about this. An incandescent bulb regardless of color temp has a 100 CRI. The company I use has a 97 CRI for their full spectrum, and it IS a full spectrum. I believe many companies have their marketing of full spectrum, but I believe at most 3 companies MAX provide a full spectrum in the way we would expect.

Moving on, I mix my chips in two ways: Photon density chips and Spectrum chips; and in a particular ratio.

The spectrum chips I have found are at a minimum 97 CRI for my spectrum chips, and 3.05 umols for my photon density chips.

I'm mainly responding because I am personally frugal with spending unless otherwise needed for investments. I am not personally familiar with this company compared to who I ordered from directly (reputable).

So if you'e deciding between spectrum and photons, I'd put the money into photon density.

This is just personal opinion until you find a reputable LED company for future builds.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

StilLearning101wtf wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:54 am
Hey!

So admittedly I have only been in the LED game for a few years. I still even ask questions about durability and people's experiences with chips to get an overall picture of peoples' performance with new chips and power LED drivers.

I believe I saw a link which led to a product with the "first 99 CRI." I'm going to cast my doubts about this. An incandescent bulb regardless of color temp has a 100 CRI. The company I use has a 97 CRI for their full spectrum, and it IS a full spectrum. I believe many companies have their marketing of full spectrum, but I believe at most 3 companies MAX provide a full spectrum in the way we would expect.

Moving on, I mix my chips in two ways: Photon density chips and Spectrum chips; and in a particular ratio.

The spectrum chips I have found are at a minimum 97 CRI for my spectrum chips, and 3.05 umols for my photon density chips.

I'm mainly responding because I am personally frugal with spending unless otherwise needed for investments. I am not personally familiar with this company compared to who I ordered from directly (reputable).

So if you'e deciding between spectrum and photons, I'd put the money into photon density.

This is just personal opinion until you find a reputable LED company for future builds.
Where are you buying cri97 leds that hit 3.05 micromouls per joule? I have been doing this for quite a while and that doesn't seem realistic to me.
Full spectrum should cover 400nm to 700nm but I have not seen many leds that do that.
StilLearning101wtf
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:48 am
StilLearning101wtf wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:54 am
Hey!

Where are you buying cri97 leds that hit 3.05 micromouls per joule? I have been doing this for quite a while and that doesn't seem realistic to me.
Full spectrum should cover 400nm to 700nm but I have not seen many leds that do that.
I think I stated it in a confusing way. I use 2 different LEDs. One with a high photon output at 3.05 umol, and another with a 97 CRI, and I use them together. Yeah a 97 CRI at 3.05 umol would be nice haha.

When I say full spectrum in regards to these 97 CRI, this is the spectrum:

It looks great in the tent, though the brightness is about half, so I try to get a good balance between the two. Little experiments here and there.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I have seen that picture around alot, it originally came from Toshiba. There is only 1 company that actually has a spectrum that looks like that though. The rest show that picture but the real spectrum is very different.
Cutter has one of my solutions to creating full spectrum strips and boards while achieving higher efficiency than before
They should be starting back production next week and hopefully they will get some time to do some spectrum tests.
You always loose efficiency in PPF when you get close to 400nm. True efficiency needs to be measured in Milliwatts of photometric flux but none of the manufacturers of horticulture lights seem to want to show this to people.
shetrarma
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Days are getting shorter and shorter here in Canada.

No sun gets to my Lithops anymore and time to shop for lights. Im thinking in getting tube LED grow lights. Is that enough light for succulents?

What do you use?
The_Mouse_Police
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

High CRI 4000K to 5000K should do great. I overwintered mine the last couple years with high CRI ~4300K boards (maker long gone, RIP PFD). Due to availability, I am pretty much standardizing on Vesta strips (3850K, if you wire up both sides at the same current), now, including for added human lighting (xxG EB3 would be more efficient replacements, but good luck finding them). Towards 3000K, they are likely to get leggy.

With such a light source, try to get 30k-50k lux (phone apps are good) to the plants, if they've been outdoors. You can try less, if they've been inside next to a window.

Note that the CCT comparisons don't cross light sources. It's an approximation useful for white 80+ CRI LEDs only. The spectra or other types of lighting vary quite a bit.

Tube vs strip vs panel doesn't really matter, at least to the plants. That's more a matter of how far you want to go on the DIY to turnkey spectrum. The more you customize, the more you can get control of the output, and generally get better efficiency than just buying stuff (that advantage is getting lower all the time, though), but the more work you have to put into researching and building it.

Also, a note for CRI: it is based on tungsten filament bulbs. A CRI of 100 means that the light is roughly equal to an incandescent. Generally, however, we are trying to use the sun as our baseline, and supplement from there. CRI effectively breaks down around 95, as far as more being better is concerned, both to plants and humans.