Newbie multiple build advice needed

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Dust4dust
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I will start by saying thanks to all I spent the last 3 weeks gathering info here, still trying to get it all straight in my head
4x4 am looking at 2x. 2 x4
Was heading for a photo boost build Pacific light concepts, but this looks to be on hold out of stock,good job really who knows how long import duty 3rd party shipping was getting expensive
Hlg320 1400b 8 strips x2

I stumbled across this oldish thread that got me onto an alternative build
viewtopic.php?t=1879 just using different strips

So I got thinking I use this build but on
2x. Hlg 240 1400b lowered wattage so could add xpg3 red on separate driver later,have 240 quantum to add if needed now dim all 3

SL-B8V3N80LAWW 6 on each driver ,then I saw in thread above 10 just squeased incide max voltage on hlg 320 so I checked hlg240 1400 specs to see if I could run 8 ,24.2x8= Nope to high can run 7 if I choose

Heatsink USA not producing shipping orders ,so am left with mounting on 30mm x 30 mm t slot with 1 flat side,as I know 8020 is used, would 1 flat side 30mm x13mm t slot 5.8kg/ metre
Or if anyone knows of a heatsink supplier uk or Europe possibly

I then stumbled on this thread
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5496

In it another build is suggested by teknik then gone into further by the falcon using Bridgelux strips
https://www.futureelectronics.com/p/lig ... ux-8115970
I would use 3000 not 3500

Teknik said no heatsink needed,so I could get away with using 3mm flat bar alu 25mm width 1150 length,would 3mm be Sturdy or to flexible ,to sturdy them up keep them even cooler I could use 5 mm

When it comes to parallel I’m patchy on workin out drivers when using 2 diff LED’s,white and red on same driver
This build is ran parallel, the falcon gives the driver for a straight white build,then says posts a picture of his build but with reds added in ,he uses higher voltage driver,advice on driver,which LED’s how many,as far as I can see they r Xpe2 or xpg3 solderles rapid LED’s 10 on each 320 driver

I hope this ain’t to confusing for people,I really do appreciate all the advice given out previously to others and hopefully in advance for my questions
the Falcon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Dust4dust wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:43 pm
I will start by saying thanks to all I spent the last 3 weeks gathering info here, still trying to get it all straight in my head
4x4 am looking at 2x. 2 x4
Was heading for a photo boost build Pacific light concepts, but this looks to be on hold out of stock,good job really who knows how long import duty 3rd party shipping was getting expensive
Hlg320 1400b 8 strips x2

I stumbled across this oldish thread that got me onto an alternative build
viewtopic.php?t=1879 just using different strips

So I got thinking I use this build but on
2x. Hlg 240 1400b lowered wattage so could add xpg3 red on separate driver later,have 240 quantum to add if needed now dim all 3

SL-B8V3N80LAWW 6 on each driver ,then I saw in thread above 10 just squeased incide max voltage on hlg 320 so I checked hlg240 1400 specs to see if I could run 8 ,24.2x8= Nope to high can run 7 if I choose

Heatsink USA not producing shipping orders ,so am left with mounting on 30mm x 30 mm t slot with 1 flat side,as I know 8020 is used, would 1 flat side 30mm x13mm t slot 5.8kg/ metre
Or if anyone knows of a heatsink supplier uk or Europe possibly

I then stumbled on this thread
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5496

In it another build is suggested by teknik then gone into further by the falcon using Bridgelux strips
https://www.futureelectronics.com/p/lig ... ux-8115970
I would use 3000 not 3500

Teknik said no heatsink needed,so I could get away with using 3mm flat bar alu 25mm width 1150 length,would 3mm be Sturdy or to flexible ,to sturdy them up keep them even cooler I could use 5 mm

When it comes to parallel I’m patchy on workin out drivers when using 2 diff LED’s,white and red on same driver
This build is ran parallel, the falcon gives the driver for a straight white build,then says posts a picture of his build but with reds added in ,he uses higher voltage driver,advice on driver,which LED’s how many,as far as I can see they r Xpe2 or xpg3 solderles rapid LED’s 10 on each 320 driver

I hope this ain’t to confusing for people,I really do appreciate all the advice given out previously to others and hopefully in advance for my questions
Looks like you have some good ideas ! I do highly recommend the Bridgelux strips, they are such a great value at Future. I did what I did because of drivers I had available and I wanted to try to use as much of the potential of the driver as I could. Now I could see planning builds to have the extra volts to accommodate extra colors ! One thing to note is that all of the HLg A or AB drivers can be turned up over the labeled voltage- for instance the 36v one can power the Gen3 strips which are 38.3v because it can be turned up to 39v. THe datasheets show this for all of them. How I was advised to add them by Rapidled was to add them on the end each circuit ( strip). Each circuit has to be exactly the same. There is a useful diagram in that post I made on how to do it. It is series circuits ran in parallel. Another example I'm working on - I thought I needed a 42v driver for the strips before I learned they can go over on volts. So I have 10 strips on a 320 42v driver - it can go to 45v - strips are 38.3v on the 1120mm ones - so minus that = 6.7 volts unused. That means I can add 1 or 2 maybe 3 of the stars if I wish - The FV on them is usually between 2.3v to 3.7 or so. Does it make sense? BTW - I now can say these strips grow great flowers, I am getting really nice solid nugs forming under them :)
Dust4dust
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thank you,your reply has cleared a lot of things in my head
I actually think I got diff drivers wiring voltage amps all sorted
Haven’t seen your wiring diagram just a picture of your lights thread linked in my original post

Have u used Samsung chips before as a comparison,or anyone else
I do believe u have convinced me I been drawing wiring diags will post below if anyone would mind checking them over

First picture is parallel with Cree red, hlg320 42b and side note to add more red 48b driver (a,no external dimmer ab no stock 15week lead time here

Second picture
(Left hand side) hlg 320 c700 series
(Right hand side)hlg 320 c1400 series/parallel ,hardest to work out for me but likely to use as these drivers are available 6 months old 2 for price of 1

I’m favouring the series wiring even if I don’t get the drivers cheap as it’s easier to hide wiring/looks better on strip build even if the gaps between strips will b the same as the strips
Attachments
8C182800-B2F5-4DE5-9E3D-517596B25904.jpeg
BCC30671-46DB-4010-999C-0DFDF6D21DD5.jpeg
the Falcon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

These are the diagrams I used. I used the bottom one of the hand drawn one- but the others can help clarify things. Thanks to Rapidled - one of their tech ppl sent these to me , best customer service ever. Before you commit to series wiring I would try to get some input from the people who know their shit. I swear I was told to wire in parallel as it was safer.....but I'd sure like confirmation of that and to understand why. The bottom diagram looks like what I was told to do as you will see. but I'd run the positive lead to one 5 or 6 way wago and then spread from there to keep it balanced - you can put 2 18ga solid wire leads into each hole even 3... the way you did it I can see some strips getting more juice.
Attachments
20200312_084802.jpg
0001.jpg
Dust4dust
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks again
Have attached picture of parallel adjustment :D

Series or parallel my first option originally was a Pacific light concept design,his advice was series was safer/best but different people will say parallel is

Who to listen to @TEKNIK maybe u could give me your views here
Attachments
6DAE2092-68B2-4D70-919A-932C03FB4631.jpeg
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

The problem with series is your voltage gets too high, it makes it easier for a short to occur when it gets too high.
Its much easier to do things in parallel. I usually suggest to do a couple of extra strips in a parallel build, if a strip fails then it won't add too much strain to the other strips, it also helps with efficiency and spread, its good insurance.
If you plan to use reds along with your strips you need to be careful to get the voltage correct.
I'm not sure if bridgelux has the 3000K cri cri90 available but that would be a better alternative to using mono reds.
Although some of the reds are hitting close to 4 m/joule now days it really isnt all that big a deal when it comes to the overall performance of a light build.
The cutter strips I tested a couple of weeks ago maybe an alternative for you if you really want to have the mono reds in a strip build.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik