LED full spectrum

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Revid
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have a 4x8’ fusionhut . Only have four plants started in there so far.
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Fusion Hut? Are you in Canada by chance? :geek:
Run 'em soft
Revid
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Yeah east coast
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Welcome! I kinda figured ;)

I'm vegging with DIY bridgelux EB gen II's (3500k) in a fusion hut myself.

Pretty happy with ~10w/sf.
Run 'em soft
Revid
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey ATPinMotion what are bridgelux that you mentioned. Kinda interested in a DIY if it’ll save me a chunk of change. I have a spider farmer coming but not near enough yet. Got any links to building a light ?
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Here are the strips I used;

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/e ... ND/7907661

In my first conversion I just gutted some fluorescent fixtures and screwed the new led strips to the old fixtures. This was a couple of years ago - I started with a meanwell HLG-120-48A because I wanted the ability to run CC or CV and be able to run a 48v system of the bridgelux strips didn't work out.

EB gen 2's actually run around 40v and they worked out great in parallel for me, so I switched to a meanwell ELG 240-42B because the ELG's dim to off. AB drivers are a great way to go if you can find them though

Here is a helpful tool;

https://ledgardener.com/parallel-strip-build-tool/
Run 'em soft
Ledgen
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:40 am

I think Cutter are doing a strip now that uses one of the Chips I developed to add near UVA into the mix if you want a true full spectrum.
They will be a bit more expensive than the normal ones though.
Hi Teknik.
I've been reading alot of your posting over different forums. You seem to know your led's!
Do you have a link for the cutters near uva with your chips?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Ledgen wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:53 am
TEKNIK wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:40 am

I think Cutter are doing a strip now that uses one of the Chips I developed to add near UVA into the mix if you want a true full spectrum.
They will be a bit more expensive than the normal ones though.
Hi Teknik.
I've been reading alot of your posting over different forums. You seem to know your led's!
Do you have a link for the cutters near uva with your chips?
https://www.cutter.com.au/product/ssk-1560zge-uvaboost/

Here is the link, those strips work best at about 25 watts per strip. My special blue chip isnt a cheap chip so it adds to the price a little, its not bad though and a good alternative to suppliments as it will have great spread and blend in properly.
Tests are still being conducted on the effects of near UVA but so far results are showing that its having a very similar reaction to using UVB.

Only 2 tests have been done so far and it will take a few more before reaching a full conclusion.

The chips I made are an alternative to using a product like Nichias optisolis. You get the broader spectrum with higher efficiency when used with cri90 leds, saving on cost as well as having 400nm in the spectrum which Nichia doesn't have.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Ledgen
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Thanks for the link @TEKNIK those looks dope!
Would 20 of these @ 25w be a good option for a 4*4 grow tent? Grow/bloom led 3-3500k ?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Ledgen wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:31 am
Thanks for the link @TEKNIK those looks dope!
Would 20 of these @ 25w be a good option for a 4*4 grow tent? Grow/bloom led 3-3500k ?
I think it is a pretty good option and price is good too, price looks too good actually and not sure if its a typo

20 pcs with a HLG480H-48AB and a dimmer pot would be the driver choice I would use too as you could get 500 watts to the boards

Another advantage to those strips cutter has is you won't need a heatsink when running 20pcs on the 480W driver. I do reccomend an oscillating fan blowing across them though just to ensure they stay cool and last a long time.

The spectrum is a bit nicer than what Cutter shows in the pictures, I will need to throw one on my machine to get a proper spectrum reading when I have time one day.
My choice would be Cree 2700K CRI90 with the PC blue blend. It won't be the most mathematically efficient spectrum around but I have seen tests done with very similar spectrums and results were more impressive than the higher efficiency products that were being used in the side by side grow.

I belive that real full spectrum is the way things will go in the future. Right now everyone is focused on the math and not the plant, that will change though and I'm pretty sure there will be a new trend this year.
With everyone trying to save a few dollars a year on electricity by using the most mathematically efficient lights the ones that choose a high enough efficiency but really nice spectrum will be laughing at them spending alot of money on suppliments soon.

Diggs99 from RIU has a bunch of these strips but has been held up doing his next grow with them so far due to the current situation in the world.
He will give a very honest opinion of performance once he gets them running and he will be comparing them to 3000K Cree strips he runs currently and loves.
He was looking at spending more money on Nichia leds but I calculated the extra cost over 3 years and it wasnt worth it for him as he pays very little for his electricity in comparison to others in the world.
It would be good to have those results for a comparison but like with anything new it takes time.

Please wear sunglasses or avoid looking directly at the LEDs, those PC blues are really powerful and mess with your eyes more than normal whites, not that normal whites arnt bad enough.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik