Lighting Design and Driver Selection - check my work

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Gumbo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I ordered (3) LED strip lights that will have two separate circuits on them. Some of the circuit details are below:

Circuit 1:
96 Samsung 301B in 5700k (per strip)
Operating Voltage - 23.2 – 25.4 Vdc
Operating Current - 2400ma (per strip)
Max Current - 2800ma (per strip)

Circuit 2:
48 Samsung 301B in 3000k, 2 Osram 660nm deep red, 1 730 nm far red
Operating Voltage - 23.2 – 25.4 Vdc
Operating Current - 1200mA (per strip)
Max Current - 1400mA (per strip)

https://solstrip.com/shop/strips-and-st ... al-channel

I would like to run these on separate drivers so that I can digitally control them separately through Home Assistant. I would like to write some automation that will do red fades at lights on/off and be able to generally control them digitally. SolStrips recommends their strips are wired in parallel.

My math is as follows:
Circuit 1 - 2400*3 = 7.2A operating current with a max of 2800*3 = 8.4A
Circuit 2 - 1200*3 = 3.6A operating current with a max of 1400*3 = 4.2A

Circuit 1:
Looking at the Meanwell HLG series, I could go with an HLG-185H-24AB and run at the "operating" current listed (note, SolStrip says you can max them out, but efficiencies go down beyond the rated operating current). I could step up and go to the next level higher of the HLG-240H-24AB, but I'd have to make sure to set the upper limit on the pot.

Circuit 2:
Same as above, but would go with the HLG-120H-24AB

Are these the right drivers? Should I go with the higher rated driver for circuit 1 and dial it back? Am I missing another series of driver that might be better?

Lasltly, as a newb to Home Assistant, but someone who has created a single automation with a pump timer (thanks @LEDG ), what hardware should I be looking at to control the drivers through home assistant? Need some sort of digital potentiometer that I can connect to my RPi. Thanks for the help.

Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Sounds like you're on the right track for the drivers. Be aware the HLG-185-24 test report says it's has been tested to put out 8.8A.

To control a driver with an RPi you'll need a source of 10V (only a few milliamps of it) and an opto-isolator. This one would let you generate two separate channels of PWM for two separate drivers, perfect.

It just occured to me, maybe a step-down buck converter that takes the ~24v from your driver and gives you some 10V?
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:42 pm
Sounds like you're on the right track for the drivers. Be aware the HLG-185-24 test report says it's has been tested to put out 8.8A.

To control a driver with an RPi you'll need a source of 10V (only a few milliamps of it) and an opto-isolator. This one would let you generate two separate channels of PWM for two separate drivers, perfect.

It just occured to me, maybe a step-down buck converter that takes the ~24v from your driver and gives you some 10V?
The nice thing is you don't even need to provide power because the dimmer circuit on the driver does. All you need is PWM and you're golden.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!