Can some1 help pick the Driver for this LED build?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Lghammer
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello there,
I have built a 1st wave of LED prototypes & am working on my second, last time I made them with LED strip rolls & this time I'll be using Samsung's Horticulture linear LED modules:

This is the data sheet on them:
https://cdn.samsung.com/led/file/resour ... ev.1.0.pdf

& here are the two lengths, Samsung makes both a 1ft and 2ft varient:
https://www.samsung.com/led/lighting/le ... re-linear/

My idea is to make 3 different Light fixture types:
1) 50w LED using x2 the 1ft Samsung linear
2) 100w LED using x2 the 2ft Samsung linear
3) 150w LED using x2 the 2ft + x2 the 1ft Samsung linear

For my last set of LEDs I chose the MeanWell HLG series drivers, example: HLG-240H-24A since the LED strip roll lights were 24Volt LEDs
Which driver should I go with for the 150w LED (example 3 above) that mixes the 1" & 2" LED modules, since the 2" has a input Voltage of 43.1 V & the 1" has a input Voltage of 21.5 V

I think I'll reach out to MeanWell as well, since they are really good @ responding & I'll post the results here :D
Cheers,
-LgHammer
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Is there any reason you can't build the 150W version using 3x 2' strips?
Lghammer
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:18 pm
Is there any reason you can't build the 150W version using 3x 2' strips?
Yes, because they are all 2 bars of lights side by side. So the 150w is 3ft long

Basically example
1 is 1 foot
2 is 2 feet
3 is 3 feet

Going for length & spreading out the lights
Salmonetin
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

...thanks...
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

It turns out the L2 have a max insulation voltage of 59V, so putting them all in series is not recommended.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Sorry for the messy answer,
You could wire all 4 boards in series, that would require ~129V. An HLG-185-C1400 dimmed down would work.
It also looks like the HLG-120-C1050 would work too, for around ~135W.
Lghammer
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:32 pm
Sorry for the messy answer,
You could wire all 4 boards in series, that would require ~129V. An HLG-185-C1400 dimmed down would work.
It also looks like the HLG-120-C1050 would work too, for around ~135W.
Excuse the slow reply, & thank you all for the replies. I just drew up these pictures of how I envision the LEDs looking like.

Decided that, for the previously mentionned example (3), using x6 of the 1ft variant is better than x4 2ft + x2 1ft

I just got to looking for a supplier for the LEDs & the power supplies, glad to have made this post & to have checked up on LEDGardener forums prior to making the purchases :)

This is the dimmer (Potentiometer) I am looking into using:

& I'll try uploading photos of the diagrams that I just drew up:
Attachments
tempImagex5GgX3.gif
tempImagekDg7p8.gif
tempImageFO1bzA.gif
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

It is not recommended to wire 6x strips in this manner, it forces the first strip to carry the full current load. The specs specify maximum of two strips when wired like this.
Instead, do this:
IMG_20210225_184141.jpg
Lghammer
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:45 am
It is not recommended to wire 6x strips in this manner, it forces the first strip to carry the full current load. The specs specify maximum of two strips when wired like this.
Instead, do this:IMG_20210225_184141.jpg
I am making a 3 feet long light fixture.. I have 3D-designed it and am gearing up to get ready to 3D print it. Redesigning this light fixture has already happened many times & I have made my 1st batches of prototypes... I don't mean to sound annoying but I seriously do not wish to fully redesign the Light fixtures just based on that strip's limit.

Can I go with the original plan of a 2ft strip + a 1ft strip? The whole idea is to have x2 3foot bars of lights spaced out to allow the potential for sunlight to easily pass through & spread the diodes as much as possible.

Is there another light strip that you'd recommend? I really want to try working with the Samsung LM301H & LM301H-one series
PeteR_1
LED Tinker
LED Tinker
Reactions:

Lghammer wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:41 pm
Shimbob wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:45 am
Instead, do this:IMG_20210225_184141.jpg
I am making a 3 feet long light fixture.. I have 3D-designed it and am gearing up to get ready to 3D print it. Redesigning this light fixture has already happened many times & I have made my 1st batches of prototypes... I don't mean to sound annoying but I seriously do not wish to fully redesign the Light fixtures just based on that strip's limit.

Can I go with the original plan of a 2ft strip + a 1ft strip? The whole idea is to have x2 3foot bars of lights spaced out to allow the potential for sunlight to easily pass through & spread the diodes as much as possible.

Is there another light strip that you'd recommend? I really want to try working with the Samsung LM301H & LM301H-one series
Page 3 of the Datasheets... https://cdn.samsung.com/led/file/resour ... ev.1.0.pdf
Working voltage for insulation: 59 Vdc Rating (SELV)

Page 16 of the Datasheets...

You could extrapolate that the 1ft strip "Max parallel" would actually be 4 bars not 2, the equivalent of two (2) 2ft bars or 4 linear ft. The assumption is that the electrical traces (characteristics) are the same for 1ft and 2ft bars. So parallel wired you could possibly daisy chain three (3) 1ft bars, but not six (6).

The other option as mentioned is Series Wired (the Datasheet info shows eight (8) linear ft wired can be wired in Series), but it exceeds the SELV (low voltage) rating of the LED Strip; the mix of 1ft and 2ft strips or six (6) 1ft strips wired in series requiring a "Series Driver" with ~ 155 watts, ~ 129.2 Vf and ~ 1200 mA.