Samsung LM301B: 220lpw!

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

The news is out on the Samsung website that they're already putting out samples of a new diode, the LM301B. At max efficiency (5000K, CRI80) it's 220lpw. ( Link to datasheet (PDF) ) In context, the QB-mania is based on Samsung's LM561c, which came out merely a year ago, and which has a max efficiency of 212lpw. This isn't a game changer, but still 3.8% improved efficiency. (And not that anybody here uses those, but an HPS light does no better than 140lpw.) Maybe if I'm lucky I'll find an Alibaba supplier that will put these LM301B on a QB-like PCB for me by September 8-)
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Interesting.

Same Vf as LM561C but max current of 15mA less per diode. Given there are so many people who are utterly obsessed with efficacy, I bet companies like HLG, PFD, ChilLED, etc. will be bombarded with requests to make the switch to this package instead.

I don't think it's really worth it, but to satisfy the masses, I'm guessing some companies will change to it.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I wonder if Robin at HLG had the heads up and that's the reason why the "enhanced spectrum" boards are coming out late summer :) maybe the 301B's are going in :)
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

admin wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:19 pm
I don't think it's really worth it, but to satisfy the masses, I'm guessing some companies will change to it.
The only real question is the price. If it's going to cost 20% more then of course it's not worth it, if it's the same price but 4% more efficient it's definitely worth it. As for me, I'm starting to wonder what Alibaba supplier does HLG work with.
sattamassagana
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey! I was looking in getting the F-Series Strips eg F562B with the 'old' 561Cs. Here in Europe I can get them for 12,70 /strip (72Leds). The really look like the best deal from here. Any thoughts?
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Given that the new LM301B isn't even available the LM561C is still effectively top of the line. At 12,70/72-diode strip you're paying €0.17/diode, which is cheaper than what people are paying for HLG's quantoboard ($0.24/diode) and little more than what you'd get sourcing in bulk directly by Alibaba.

From what I've gathered (Octopart) you're shopping at DigiKey - and you might want to look into buying in bulk. For me, say, looking at about 4500-5000 diodes, it already makes more economic sense to over-buy buy 100 strips. (I'm checking with some Alibaba suppliers if they'll make me a PCB like those sold by HLG, but still no competitive answer.) Please update if you go down this route!
sattamassagana
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

yes digikey is the where im probably going to buy. i have thought about Alibaba, but since there is no way i can be sure that im getting what i asked for(see old mother sativa on riu) i have decided against it, even though its very alluring to have something custom made to your specs.
Last edited by sattamassagana on Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sattamassagana
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

But back to the lm301b: when will it be available?
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

What's the story with old mother sativa..?

Alibaba is a bit like buying on eBay. There have been and will be scammers on it, but you can easily set them apart from solid, established manufacturers / suppliers with a long history of happy customers. When it comes to COBs KingBrite are an excellent source.

I suspect that pretty much everybody in this field of horticulture lighting got in touch with their manufacturer/supplier in Shenzhen via Alibaba and simply stamp a logo and buy in bulk. That's precisely what it means when they're "sold out." I wonder if even Samsung, who did all the R&D, has any manufacturing operations in South Korea, or even outside of Shenzhen. Who they all buy from is harder to know, but I'm slowly trying to contact all of the bigger sellers with this magic diode.

As for public release of the LM301B, I have no clue. The press release was mid-June. Would it take a month or a quarter is anybody's guess.
sattamassagana
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

i'm not 100% sure, but i think old mother sativa had several 'lm561C' panels custom built in shenzen. He did not disclose his source. Anyway it seems the panels do not perform as they should, even though he seems happy with them. http://rollitup.org/t/6-x-22-558-samsun ... el.941117/
I have heard good stuff about Kingbrite and i'm sure their cobs are fine. For me the Alibaba/Shenzen market is too overwhelming and i cant afford and dont need large quantities. Of course almost all roads lead to Shenzen. Due to the measured specs and performance (and the copper pcb), i'm leaning towards the F562B strips.

I am very curious about your plans and would be glad to hear how you came to your solution!

By the way: I had a real good dialog with Roget Zhang from Shenzen Mufue. So i sent him this picture of how i would want my panel: PIC He was really friendly and the price was very good, so if you havent contacted him already, i would give it a try.
Attachments
25+x+25cm+Quantum+Tiles.jpg
25+x+25cm+Quantum+Tiles.jpg (282.82 KiB) Viewed 2631 times