4ft EB Series Gen 2 Light build - 4x4/5x5 flower

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
fizzschizz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi All,

Just wanting some educated feedback on this before I get too far down the track to make sure my plan is solid. I have no experience with leds and drivers, but slowly getting my head around voltages and currents thanks to sites like this. I am more handy enough and more than capable on the fabrication side.

I am wanting to make a solid flowering light that will run in a 5x5 tent, over a 4x4 scrog footprint. An alternative to 1000w HPS I was looking at. (Currently have a 600w in 4x4 tent.)

Want to build a SPydrX style light.

Looking at running two of these drivers.
HLG-320H-42B

With 18 of these 4 ft strips. (9 per driver.)
BXEB-L1120Z-35E4000-C-B3

So from my basic understanding - I could run these strips at 850mA each which should make them fairly efficient?

Open to any thoughts and or suggestions on this, I am only in early planning stages. Seem ok, or is there a better way/config than what I have suggested?

Cheers
fizzschizz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

A further note. Would I be better off running this version driver?
HLG-320H-C700B

Slightly less current per strip though? Not sure if there are advantages to go one way or the other?
Could add a couple more strips and still be in the voltage range?
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

I'd probably run them all off of an HLG-600H-42 instead. It'd simplify your wiring. You don't want to go constant current on these because your voltage will be dangerously high and will likely exceed the rating of your connectors and even wire.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
fizzschizz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ok, Great. Thanks for the reply!
That one can definitely work. Some lead time on when that model can ship, but I have time up my sleeve on this one..

So I would be wiring these in Parallel I assume?
In your opinion is this is enough light for my application?
Kiwi_Jezza
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

You should have plenty of light with approx 90,000 lumens over a 4x4 canopy.

You would most likely get a little more than the rated current out of the constant voltage 'A' version also. This is true for both of mine.
fizzschizz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

OK, So I think I may have really messed up. I have purchased and received two HLG-320H-48B drivers which turned up today.. Problem being I was supposed to order the 42B versions. I don't know how I managed this!
Will these still be useable for me?

As above - I am planning on running 18 of the BXEB-L1120Z-35E4000-C-B3 strips. (9 Per driver.)
Can I just dial down the voltage with a Potentiometer? Damn. Hoping this is not a complete waste of $$ or a lost cause..

Appreciate any advice.
fizzschizz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Actually should be ok from what I understand thanks to the constant current mode?

So the datasheets + my interpretation of your video linked below + my math tell me:
This driver will run at constant current mode when all amps are being gobbled up by my lights.
So 6.7amps easily eaten up by / 9 strips / which would run each strip at 740ma..

According to strip datasheet this current would have the driver running at approximately 39v.

You sir are a legend for your resources on this site. This video just clarified alot for me (well I think so) and actually this should work out all ok.
https://youtu.be/J6o-z8vJeN8

Can someone more knowledgable please let me know if the above is not correct.
:)
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

It would actually work but since it’s a higher voltage driver, you’ll be missing out on some current. It is critical that you have all the strips running at the same time on this too because if you were to try a few of them rather than hooking them all up, the driver voltage would no longer be restrained and it would dump all its current into them.

Short answer is yes it’d work but it won’t be ideal and is a bit riskier.

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
fizzschizz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ok. Thanks LEDG.
I just spoke to digikey and they will happily do a return for me. So for the $20 return shipping cost I will just do that and buy the correct ones.. the 42b models..

Really appreciate your advice on here!
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Nice. I think that’s the way to do it.