UV and Additional Spectrum Lighting

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I too am looking at chilled, but also looking at adding monos to a cob build as an alternative, especially since chilled just went down on DIY sales when im ready to buy. I find myself wondering how much it would really help though. It looks like at least 100 bucks just to add UV-A to a 800ish watt cob light is that worth it? will i see any real gain? im not so sure
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

secondhandname wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:52 am
I too am looking at chilled, but also looking at adding monos to a cob build as an alternative, especially since chilled just went down on DIY sales when im ready to buy. I find myself wondering how much it would really help though. It looks like at least 100 bucks just to add UV-A to a 800ish watt cob light is that worth it? will i see any real gain? im not so sure
I think the effects of UV are debatable, Iogically it makes sense, but its not light you cant grow dank without it. The best bang for your buck are fluorescent reptile bulbs, which are way cheaper than LEDs and produce alot more UV light, in addition to white light.

growmau5 added reptile bulbs in his quantum canopy build, but he only ran them for like an hour a day in late flower.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (160.75 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

In his video where he goes over the Quantum Canopy results, it sounds like he wasn't totally convinced about the UV.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

on blackdogLED is written:
"...UVA light alone can increase THC and CBD production in Cannabis plants.
[...]
...the inclusion of UVB in the light has noticeable detrimental effects on plant growth compared to only UVA."

CHilLED has a nice article on UVA effects:
  • Increased Plant Yields (more photosynthesis)
  • Increased nutrition in Plants (antioxidant flavonoids and phenolic compounds)
  • increased flavor (higher Terpene Levels)
  • More resistance to fungal Infections (leaf thickness)
  • more branching, less stretching
  • increased root mass
https://chilledgrowlights.com/education ... row-lights
Aolelon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Stephen from HLG said they will be looking into adding mono LEDs soon. Along with samsungs new red led diode it should be pretty bitchen
https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung ... e-lighting
Freeeg0
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Something Ive done with my QB's
IMG_1984.JPG
I can detail the specific ratios of temps if ya'll are interested. Sorta waiting to finish the entire project before I write it up, but saw the post and could help.
Ive built off the heatsink 2 from HLG, adding 44" heat sinks strips holding my discrete recipe.
Tying them all together on top with Alu C channel which worked nicely as a J box for all the connections to the remote driver set up. Used Alu flat bar stock as a lid to said J box.
Came out pretty clean and feels really like one nice fixure...not so much the Frankenlight I expected as my first build.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Freeeg0 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 5:03 pm
Something Ive done with my QB's
IMG_1984.JPG
I can detail the specific ratios of temps if ya'll are interested. Sorta waiting to finish the entire project before I write it up, but saw the post and could help.
Ive built off the heatsink 2 from HLG, adding 44" heat sinks strips holding my discrete recipe.
Tying them all together on top with Alu C channel which worked nicely as a J box for all the connections to the remote driver set up. Used Alu flat bar stock as a lid to said J box.
Came out pretty clean and feels really like one nice fixure...not so much the Frankenlight I expected as my first build.
Whats the side lighting you got there? how much do you feed it, and did you notice a change in yields? How large do you grow?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Freeeg0 wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 5:03 pm
Don't even wait for us asking, it's implied! tell us more
Freeeg0
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

More details...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=981