Ready to Wire !

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Thanks to this site- and this site only, I've been able to easily spec and start building my new light. Super Cool !
This is a 2'x2' fixture for a 3'x3' space using 6 F series LT-F564B strips driven by an HLG-480H-48B driver. I've designed it to run at about 386 watts(approx 43 watts/sq foot), which should be 75% of max. I will probably drive it a little softer...
I'm ready to attach the strips and wire it...
IMG_0378.jpg
IMG_0377.jpg
Last edited by Sativant on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

nice job !
J.R.R.Toking
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

It looks very clean!

How much longer than the light strips did you order the heatsinks cut? I ordered 45" for 44" strips, and am thinking I should have gone 46"...but I only have a 4' cab to work with.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

24” heatsinks. The strips fit with about 3/16” to spare. You should be fine if you keep your frame material away from the face of your heatsinks. Attach your frame to the top, perhaps.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I've been busy getting seeds germinated. My lowest success rate ever. But I have been able to do more work on my light. I'm putting the Wagos in the channel. Stuck down with 3M VBH tape. I don't like having lose wires ! The green wire will be grounded to the frame...

There is just enough room left on the heatsink for me to sneak the wires through a hole and into the strip connector. The 18 ga solid wire is protected with dual wall adhesive heat shrink tubing and PET braided sleeving. All the wires will travel in the channel, out of the way.

The driver will be remote, using the Neutrik connector to go through the wall into the grow area. Amazon has them- use the LEDG link to get there...

I bought an HLG-65 to mind the babies. It's such a nice, thin, bright light ! It will go down to the veg chamber once my big light is complete.
Attachments
Neutrik NAC3MPB-1 AC.jpg
Neutrik NAC3MPB-1 AC.jpg (4.15 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
Neutrik NAC3FCB AC.jpg
Neutrik NAC3FCB AC.jpg (3.02 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
IMG_0172.jpg
IMG_0173.jpg
IMG_0207.jpg
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

This is looking really nice man. It’s obvious you’ve put a lot of thought into the build. Can’t wait to see it finished.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
sweeper
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I dig it man! nice and sturdy! should have no problem driving that sucker hard!
Complex
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Sativant wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:51 pm
I've been busy getting seeds germinated. My lowest success rate ever. But I have been able to do more work on my light. I'm putting the Wagos in the channel. Stuck down with 3M VBH tape. I don't like having lose wires ! The green wire will be grounded to the frame...

I don't know if this is different because you're using F-strips, and not QB's, but according to Stephen from HLG you do not have to ground the DC side of the circuit. That said, I bought 18/3 cable and left the ground (green) wire taped off to the side, for now.

There is just enough room left on the heatsink for me to sneak the wires through a hole and into the strip connector. The 18 ga solid wire is protected with dual wall adhesive heat shrink tubing and PET braided sleeving. All the wires will travel in the channel, out of the way.

Nice idea with the heatshrink, great idea with the braided sleeve - that might be useful for my project too.

The driver will be remote, using the Neutrik connector to go through the wall into the grow area. Amazon has them- use the LEDG link to get there...

I did an amazon search on the model of Neutrik connector you listed and this is what the description says: Locking 20 A / 250 V ac appliance coupler; The powerCON is a connector without breaking capacity, i.e. the powerCON should not be connected or disconnected under load or live!
I think the one you're looking for is this: Neutrik NAC3FX-W Powecon Tru1 Locking Female Cable Connector, which says: The powerCON TRUE1 is a connector with breaking capacity (CBC), i.e. it can be connected or disconnected under load or live.

I bought an HLG-65 to mind the babies. It's such a nice, thin, bright light ! It will go down to the veg chamber once my big light is complete.
Thanks for sharing your build, it looks great man.
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Thanks for your post. I am indeed using the Neutrik connector that can be connected/disconnected under load. It works really well, was easy to wire and has a good feel. It is the black and yellow plug on the left in the attached picture.
The light is beautiful. The coverage is very even, with no hotspots and adjusts nicely with the pot.

I am wondering, though, why I can't turn it up higher than about 364 watts from the wall as indicated by my Sonoff POW2. I thought I would be able to get more than 386 out of it, as that is 75% power. I'm using the HLG-480H-48B driver with 6 LT-F564B strips. I'm currently running it at 250 watts. Plants are droopy post-transplant into 3 gallon smart pots.
Attachments
IMG_1260 copy.jpg
IMG_1261.jpg
IMG_1135.jpg
kang
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

looks really nice! wish i had chosen led strips instead of my quantum build. Well i can always add some strips for the sides of my plants