cheap, dimmable drivers by "thomas research products" + display

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

So you used 50k for one driver and 10k for two? So if I want to try three should I try 10k? Or just go for individual adjustability... 6 50k pots
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I just looked at potentiometers on digikey, they all seem to be 2w or less... and cost 8e or more WTF?
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

From my understanding he used a 50k and a 10k on one driver, and they both worked separately. The charts he made I believe we're from resisters.
NothinYet is my nickname
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Do I need resistors? are the w designations on the potentiometers irrelevant, or do i need to find a 75w potentiometer?

I finally just pulled the trigger on 10 TRP drivers and a bunch of vesta strips. Two are for a friend who wanted to buy a 10w plant light from ikea for 50e. Two drivers and 8 1foot vesta strips were 50e at digikey, he will get quite a shock when he sees his plants bathing in 150w.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

The dimmer is only 10v max at 2mA. That's only like .02w or something.

I believe he used various resistors to determine how many ohms needed to dim the driver. A potentiometer dimms with resistance.

Although I don't know the difference between a and b pots. I know a is audio taper, and b is linear taper.
NothinYet is my nickname
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

i used a 50K pot, but upwards of 10K resulted in the driver already delivering it's max. 3A at 25V. so 10K is enough.
i will order 10K pots (and 20k as a security) from AliExpress and replace the A50K.
cost: 5pcs: 1.2$. plus some knobs.

A-type pots have a logarithmic curve (like the driver dimming response curve i posted)

on ali they only have cheap B (linear) pots.
my A50K is from digikey though. 0.7$ if i remember correctly
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

tazztone wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:03 pm
i used a 50K pot, but upwards of 10K resulted in the driver already delivering it's max. 3A at 25V. so 10K is enough.
i will order 10K pots (and 20k as a security) from AliExpress and replace the A50K.
cost: 5pcs: 1.2$. plus some knobs.

A-type pots have a logarithmic curve (like the driver dimming response curve i posted)

on ali they only have cheap B (linear) pots.
my A50K is from digikey though. 0.7$ if i remember correctly
Do you know what the difference between using an a pot vs b pot on these drivers would be?
NothinYet is my nickname
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

my imagination is too weak but i think A type would be better because its logarithmic curve would cancel out the logarithmic curve of the driver and result in a linear dimming experience.
however it doesn't make much of a difference if you use these mini displays i posted about earlier in this thread. you can set the dimming level according to their display.
i added a rocker switch to it so i can power it on only when i want readings.
infosponge
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

How are you wiring them, in series? I'm still learning, ordered 8 TRP drivers and 12 vesta strips, automatically thought wire them in series because it's a CC driver but the output is 8-25 V, if I run 3 strips off one driver won't they only be pulling ~ 8 V each?
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

You have to wire these parallel so it splits amps between the strips. Which vestas did you order?
NothinYet is my nickname