New Samsung horticultural LED: LH351B Red

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
faust5
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

It looks like Samsung is debuting a new LED strip specifically designed for gardening, with a wavelength of 660nm. They are also releasing a new white LED. Here is a link to the press release. https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung ... e-lighting

What's the evidence that 660nm is better than white? Is anyone planning on testing their PPFD claims? If I were planning a new LED build, should I wait until these are available?
Aolelon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

It's not better, it's used in conjunction with. You cant grow with just 660nm, HLG is working with samsung as well so hopefully we will be seeing these in their QB kits in the future.
The 660nm will be used to add supplemental lighting pretty sure.
Also the HinFlux strips will be using lm301b diodes, which can already be found in the Q-series strips.
HLGs new QB v2 boards are using top bin(not found elsewhere) lm301b diodes as well.
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Aolelon wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 8:25 am
HLG is working with samsung as well
HLG buys Samsung components, sure, but that's not being in collaboration as claimed in the past. I drink coke, that doesn't make me a coke partner or collaborator. HLG make good products and the shit I've gone thru building everything DIY makes me appreciate the kits they sell, but over-selling is an alarm bell in my book.

As for the new diode, I'm curious to learn how they pulled it off. White light with a varying thickness of phosphorous to control RA is (relatively) easily understood, combining that with a specific wavelength inside the same diode-- there's some science there.

Exactly how more efficient it would be would also depend a lot on the specific plant and even phenotype. Hopefully by the time I'll be ready to buy new diodes I hope there will be some data on that. The 301b was released a year ago and is still hard to come by. Maybe they'll ramp up production for this one. I'd definitely get it if I could.
mr blue
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

QB 288 V2

Horticulture QB 288 V2 are now made by Samsung using the latest LM301B LED. Currently QB 288 V2 is available in 3000K and 4000K Spectrum.

They appear to have the samsung stamp on them.
Professor Xavier
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

mr blue wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:30 am
QB 288 V2

Horticulture QB 288 V2 are now made by Samsung using the latest LM301B LED. Currently QB 288 V2 is available in 3000K and 4000K Spectrum.

They appear to have the samsung stamp on them.
I asked HLG if they were using the new HINFLUX 301B diodes and Stephen said, "Exciting times ahead" on the GML show.
Aolelon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

majorana wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:37 am
Aolelon wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 8:25 am
HLG is working with samsung as well
HLG buys Samsung components, sure, but that's not being in collaboration as claimed in the past. I drink coke, that doesn't make me a coke partner or collaborator. HLG make good products and the shit I've gone thru building everything DIY makes me appreciate the kits they sell, but over-selling is an alarm bell in my book.

As for the new diode, I'm curious to learn how they pulled it off. White light with a varying thickness of phosphorous to control RA is (relatively) easily understood, combining that with a specific wavelength inside the same diode-- there's some science there.

Exactly how more efficient it would be would also depend a lot on the specific plant and even phenotype. Hopefully by the time I'll be ready to buy new diodes I hope there will be some data on that. The 301b was released a year ago and is still hard to come by. Maybe they'll ramp up production for this one. I'd definitely get it if I could.
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, I do so dont try to make me look stupid please.
HLG has been in talks with Samsung for a couple years now. They now have Samsung producing their V2 boards with top unreleased bin lm301b diodes. They are also working with Samsung on a few other projects, from what Stephen and Robin have both hinted to with Samsungs new horticulture package.
Also here is the datasheet for the QB v2 as well, produced by Samsung.
So tell me again how this isnt being in collaboration with Samsung?
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1538/ ... 6232111854
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Aolelon wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 10:05 pm
So tell me again how this isnt being in collaboration with Samsung?
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1538/ ... 6232111854
No need to take any offense. This is the first time I'm seeing this document, which looks very promising. Like I said a couple of months ago when such a collaboration was mentioned-- I'll believe it when I see it. And it just might be time to start believing!