new bridgelux model? VESTA® 90CRI, 130lm/W

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

While reading conversations of 80 vs90 cri I noticed there was discussion about cobs that lost little efficiency. Vesta seems to have lost quite a bit? Does Samsung make 90cri lm561c's?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
LivingLight
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:55 am
While reading conversations of 80 vs90 cri I noticed there was discussion about cobs that lost little efficiency. Vesta seems to have lost quite a bit? Does Samsung make 90cri lm561c's?
you can't really consider efficiency alone here.
If you could get vesta 80CRI for the same price you can compare eventually.
But for the price you pay the vesta, you can compare to eb2 80CRI or samsung strip 80CRI, i don't think you got lower efficiency at same price.
Vesta are really cheap so, in a way, really efficient
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

2pcs vestas cost still 6$ less than 1pc F564B.
and when you then compare these 2 Vestas with a F564B that's driven hard(@1.8A @50°C) the VESTAs efficiency is only 3.5% lower, while delivering 10% more umol/s. (this no estimate. it's all calculated using samsung Led engine calculator and livinglight's charts)
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Wow, so you mean Vesta beats F-series when driven hard?

Certainly there must be many types of efficiency, not just lm/w. I looked at common strips from many perspectives, first was lm/$, lm/w came into the question later. I guess buying vesta I ended where I started: lm/$. Relieving to know that its not that inefficient compared to F-series driven hard.
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 1:22 pm
Wow, so you mean Vesta beats F-series when driven hard?
in terms of cost: yes, by 6$ (ignoring bulk rebate by samsung)
by photon output: yes, by 10%
efficiency-wise: no. 3.5% short
(this assumes 2x vesta (@2A) vs 1x f564B (@1.8A))
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

OK, i understand now.

I was looking at the 2foot single row f-strips. FB-522 i think... They were like 14e here, and if you got 25pc, their price came down to 9.5e. Bridgelux didnt give bulk discounts but they were 8.2e.
For some reason whenever I tried to design builds for F-strips, I was guided by this idea that I had to achieve higher efficiency. So I was never happy with my designs. For Vesta I started with the assumption of low efficiency, so I just focused on getting the watts and spectrum's I want, and I enjoyed it more.

:P
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

i just sorted the entire LED catalog from digikey by a new tab i calculated: "lumen per dollar".
Vestas reach a value of 660 lm/$, by far the highest, only beaten by a few COBs (Vero® SE 29 or Gen 7 V22).
other LED modules (rigid strips) are far off:
EB gen2 are 365 lm/$
Fseries gen3 285 lm/$
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Did you take the bulk pricing into account?
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

macthezazou wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:12 pm
Did you take the bulk pricing into account?
nope. just catalog price.
but then it might be better to compare photons/$ where CRI90 (and therefore Vesta) would win even higher. so i guess this makes up a bit for the lack of inclusion of bulk discount.
Last edited by tazztone on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

tazztone wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:01 pm
i just sorted the entire LED catalog from digikey by a new tab i calculated: "lumen per dollar".
Vestas reach a value of 660 lm/$, by far the highest, only beaten by a few COBs (Vero® SE 29 or Gen 7 V22).
other LED modules (rigid strips) are far off:
EB gen2 are 365 lm/$
Fseries gen3 285 lm/$
Yep... I counted about 3w per Euro, including drivers. Wish I could keep high plant counts, would love to do a comparison on the ROI of different setups, that cost the same... Would 200$ of Vestas beat 200$ of F-series? I would imagine that especially with larger plants having over 2x more strips would allow more efficient lighting strategies...