Lights aren't all that bright, can you help?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
OntarioGro17
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have recently built my own LED strip perimeter light for two of my tents. I did some research on reddit and came across a diy build and i copied his serials and bought the same things, I purchased 12 LED MOD FSERIES GEN3 3000K STRIP part number SI-B8V261560WW, and 2 Meanwell HLG-240H-C1750B drivers. I have them wired one into the other in a rectangle patter. I have 10k omh pot for dimming. i run 6 lights per driver. It was my understanding they are 23 watt strips and that i have a 240w driver. I would assume 23w x 6(lights)= 138watts more than enough power I would think but i'm a noob. I would definitely not say they are blinding by any means. compared to my blurples the light seems to only travel a few inches before dissipating, and advice would be super.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

OntarioGro17 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:23 am
I have recently built my own LED strip perimeter light for two of my tents. I did some research on reddit and came across a diy build and i copied his serials and bought the same things, I purchased 12 LED MOD FSERIES GEN3 3000K STRIP part number SI-B8V261560WW, and 2 Meanwell HLG-240H-C1750B drivers. I have them wired one into the other in a rectangle patter. I have 10k omh pot for dimming. i run 6 lights per driver. It was my understanding they are 23 watt strips and that i have a 240w driver. I would assume 23w x 6(lights)= 138watts more than enough power I would think but i'm a noob. I would definitely not say they are blinding by any means. compared to my blurples the light seems to only travel a few inches before dissipating, and advice would be super.
If you have a 10K ohm pot and that's not a typo, that's where your problem is. It needs to be 100K or you're only going to get 10% power. You can unhook it for max power also.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Aolelon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Yep definitely unhook them until you can get 2 100k ohm potentiameters. Or if you want to dim them both together. Get one 50k ohm linear taper potentiameter.
The 10k ohm potentiameter means that youre dimmed to 10%
OntarioGro17
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

thanks guys i cut the bum ones off and boom so much brighter. I'm gonna order some 100k pots but to ne honesy i might just leave it, ?I was under the impression I had to have those wires hooked to a pot.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

OntarioGro17 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:16 pm
thanks guys i cut the bum ones off and boom so much brighter. I'm gonna order some 100k pots but to ne honesy i might just leave it, ?I was under the impression I had to have those wires hooked to a pot.
Good stuff. It’s fine to leave the dimming leads with nothing on them if you don’t want to change the pots.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
J.R.R.
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

[quote=LEDG post_id=7368 time=1529732029 user_id=2

If you have a 10K ohm pot and that's not a typo, that's where your problem is. It needs to be 100K or you're only going to get 10% power. You can unhook it for max power also.
[/quote]

LOL...I must be getting better. As soon as I saw the one, 100K potentiometer, I "knowed" right away that was the problem!