Record Breaking Efficiency?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Heathen
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

This was a story suggested to me by Google because of my research into LEDs. The story claims that these Quantum Dot LEDs have achieved "record breaking efficiency" of 105 L/w. Am I missing something? Don't the LM301b's go over 200 L/w?

https://phys.org/news/2018-07-quantum-d ... ciency.amp
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

That is weired. There is a contact number at the end of the article for further questions...
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Heathen wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:08 am
This was a story suggested to me by Google because of my research into LEDs. The story claims that these Quantum Dot LEDs have achieved "record breaking efficiency" of 105 L/w. Am I missing something? Don't the LM301b's go over 200 L/w?

after skimming thru it... the quantum dot is different.. it's not a blue based diode with a yellow phosphor coating. like our lm561c and lm301b... the actual diode produces r.b.g. with out the coating.

that's a good step forward 😁
Heathen
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:30 pm
Heathen wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:08 am

after skimming thru it... the quantum dot is different.. it's not a blue based diode with a yellow phosphor coating. like our lm561c and lm301b... the actual diode produces r.b.g. with out the coating.

that's a good step forward 😁

I saw that and that was my first thought but this is all still so new to me that I can't pretend to understand the distinction. I guess these wouldn't really be a breakthrough that affects what we are doing so much as it can possibly apply to display lighting like TV's and cell phones.
Professor Xavier
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

My LED TV from Samsung uses Quantum Dots.
When looking at some of the prices for these lights, I seriously contemplated putting a PAR meter under those dots to see if an HDR sunrise on loops wouldn't save me money.
Last edited by Professor Xavier on Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heathen
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Professor Xavier wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:46 pm
My LED TV from uses Quantum Dots.
When looking at some of the prices for these lights, I seriously contemplated putting a PAR meter under those dots to see if an HDR sunrise on loops wouldn't save me money.
I suggested this to Lumi on riddlem3.com some years ago, using a flat panel led as a grow light and using a program to turn the LCD into a tunable filter. I wasn't suggesting it was a great alternative to the cmh that they all were using but I thought it would be an interesting academic exercise. They thought it was quite comical.