Complete Noob pondering DIY build

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
rps13013265
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Okay, so started out hastefully without research, bought some shitty mars LED blurple to handle my first set up.

Once I started researching, LED's seem like the seemingly obvious way to go.

I'm technically inclined, capable DIY'er for most things, but once the technical stuff starts getting tossed around, I'm lost.

Ironically, I'm an electrical tech for the dealership I work for, but alot of this stuff goes beyond me lol.

I was simply looking for some advice on managing a 4fx4fx80in space. I don't want to spend any more money on lighting till I'm set in what will be my next long term light and I'm definitely willing to spend good coin on a product that will fit my long term needs.

Do you guys think simply following one of the 4x4 builds with the F series strips is probably my best bet to keep things simple?

What kind of info do you need to point me in the right direction here?
FarmerLinus
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

rps13013265 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 am
Okay, so started out hastefully without research, bought some shitty mars LED blurple to handle my first set up.

Once I started researching, LED's seem like the seemingly obvious way to go.

I'm technically inclined, capable DIY'er for most things, but once the technical stuff starts getting tossed around, I'm lost.

Ironically, I'm an electrical tech for the dealership I work for, but alot of this stuff goes beyond me lol.

I was simply looking for some advice on managing a 4fx4fx80in space. I don't want to spend any more money on lighting till I'm set in what will be my next long term light and I'm definitely willing to spend good coin on a product that will fit my long term needs.

Do you guys think simply following one of the 4x4 builds with the F series strips is probably my best bet to keep things simple?

What was wrong with the blurples?
H0m3B0Y
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

rps13013265 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 am

Hey another noob here, so take all my writing with a pinch of salt.

F series will get hot and you will need heatsinks ($$ in US, almost impossible to get at decent price in EU). If you'd like to keep heat down, have a loot at EB Gen2 strips as well (link). They run cooler at low current, almost as effective (in lumens per watt) and cost less, so you can buy more of them to get same light flux in your grow room with less heat.

If you are new-new to LED strip builds, then you should definitely look all 4 videos on meanwell drivers:
Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
Check all blog posts about series vs parallel wiring, etc.

Also you will want to be able to read datasheets for strips and drivers, there is a very good guide in forums. You will also find good info in blog, but don't skip posts about COBs (drivers are the same for COBs and strips).

Also if you feel like it, I already asked a lot of dumb questions in this thread and got good info in reply, so it might help you.

Also check internets for color temperature of stips depending on their use (veg only, flower only or one light for both).

IIRC the light for my 2x2.5ft tent (no heatsinks needed) will cost me around 150EUR (for all parts) + few hours of my time (150W power draw; 30W/sqft). I think any LED light currently offered that draws 150W from the wall will be more expensive that DIY build.
rps13013265
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

FarmerLinus wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:09 am

Nothing really, I'm getting 500 actual watts in my tent right now(250ish at the socket from each) and things are thriving. The money I've spent on them together, I could have built a higher quality light.

Mostly looking for better PAR/light intensity compared to what I'm getting from my current set up.

I may not even need to switch but I really like the idea of DIY.
rps13013265
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

H0m3B0Y wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:13 pm
Hey another noob here, so take all my writing with a pinch of salt.

F series will get hot and you will need heatsinks ($$ in US, almost impossible to get at decent price in EU). If you'd like to keep heat down, have a loot at EB Gen2 strips as well (link). They run cooler at low current, almost as effective (in lumens per watt) and cost less, so you can buy more of them to get same light flux in your grow room with less heat.

If you are new-new to LED strip builds, then you should definitely look all 4 videos on meanwell drivers:
Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
Check all blog posts about series vs parallel wiring, etc.

Also you will want to be able to read datasheets for strips and drivers, there is a very good guide in forums. You will also find good info in blog, but don't skip posts about COBs (drivers are the same for COBs and strips).

Also if you feel like it, I already asked a lot of dumb questions in this thread and got good info in reply, so it might help you.

Also check internets for color temperature of stips depending on their use (veg only, flower only or one light for both).

IIRC the light for my 2x2.5ft tent (no heatsinks needed) will cost me around 150EUR (for all parts) + few hours of my time (150W power draw; 30W/sqft). I think any LED light currently offered that draws 150W from the wall will be more expensive that DIY build.

Thanks very much for the response. Will start doing some learning here and make a better decision.
FarmerLinus
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

rps13013265 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:47 pm
FarmerLinus wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:09 am

Nothing really, I'm getting 500 actual watts in my tent right now(250ish at the socket from each) and things are thriving. The money I've spent on them together, I could have built a higher quality light.

Mostly looking for better PAR/light intensity compared to what I'm getting from my current set up.

I may not even need to switch but I really like the idea of DIY.
Yeah I’ve heard that blurples definitely get the job done. However, the photon output from some of these Samsung diodes are unmatched by blurples and even HPS if they were all pulling the same wattage. Also, allegedly the Samsung diodes are of much higher quality than the 3-5w diodes on most blurple light fixtures. I did DIY for my first light because I couldn’t justify paying the premium on preassembles lights. What’s your budget for a new LED set up?
rps13013265
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

FarmerLinus wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:14 am

Yeah I’ve heard that blurples definitely get the job done. However, the photon output from some of these Samsung diodes are unmatched by blurples and even HPS if they were all pulling the same wattage. Also, allegedly the Samsung diodes are of much higher quality than the 3-5w diodes on most blurple light fixtures. I did DIY for my first light because I couldn’t justify paying the premium on preassembles lights. What’s your budget for a new LED set up?
I've got roughly 1000-1500CDN to work with lol.

I could buy the HLG boards but again, just because I have the budget, doesn't mean I don't want to build it myself. I'd rather build a really cool product for less and put that other money towards a hydro set up etc.

I'm fascinated by how different the end product can be from different lighting. Really neat.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

With all the strips, you can reduce cooling needs by running them soft (adding more leds per W). Running soft also allows a better spread, so you can bring the lights lower. It's worth it to compare this option to heatsink costs.

Perhaps you have the option of using the driver from your blurple, but your budget seems solid enough to just go for quality.

I got about enough bridgelux vesta strips for more then a 1000w setup, and 750w of drivers, and the whole thing cost me about 280e, if I remember right. Being 90cri they produce less lumen/w then the 80cri EB gen2 strips that were proposed above.

The samsung F (LM561c) and Q (LM301b) series are great. It seems the LM301b is finally starting to take over as the choice of manufacturers, but I am not sure how the lumen/$ figure is today, between the F, Q, and influx series.

Following one of the builds for F-series, or EBgen2, you can hardly go wrong.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
rps13013265
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I may end up looking at one of the 4x4 builds but I'm going to dig into learning alot of the technical side first here before I dive in haha.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

If you are working with electronics, I guess you should take every chance to learn. These forums do allow you to only focus on what you want. I let other users recommend and choose drivers for me.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"