new bridgelux model? VESTA® 90CRI, 130lm/W

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

These strips are 2a max total. You can run them 50%-75% if you need it.
NothinYet is my nickname
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Okay thank you, I was a bit confused about the two independently powered rows.

I'll order ten vestas with 2x HLG-100H-24B to see how they are performing without any heatsinks!
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

1A per row is max, so 2A if you series them together.
NothinYet is my nickname
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Any mid/long-term review of the vesta 3850k spectrum? Especially for veg?
x86ricer
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Okay.. So has anyone put plants under these lights yet? I would love to hear from someone who has grown with QB's and VESTA's. Maybe there is something to be had with the greater CRI rating.

Well at any rate, I figure you knowable folk may be able to give a little advise. I am considering two different configurations for a grow cabinet that is 24x36x72 inches. Of the two configurations, which do you think would be more productive? It would need to be used for both Veg and Flower.

Configuration 1 consists of 10 Bridgelux VESTA BXEB-TL-2750G-3000-A-13 strips arranged as shown below. They will be driven with two separate drivers to address the two different channels separately.
Bridgelux VESTA Layout.png

Configuration 2 consists of 6 HLG QB96 strips and two QB18 strips arranged as shown below. The QB18 strips will only be on for flowering.
QB96 and QB18 Layout.png

Total delivered wattage to either configuration will be limited to 240 watts. Not 240w from the wall, but 240 watts to the LED fixture. I do understand that this will create greater than 240w from the wall.

I would like to apologize for the dim pictures as the CAD software I was using would only allow me to export as an image with a black background. So with all that said, please feel free to make recommendations and/or let me know your feelings. Just please explain your rational a little so I understand where you are coming from. I know there has to be better configurations out there that I haven't considered.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

x86ricer wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:10 pm
Okay.. So has anyone put plants under these lights yet? I would love to hear from someone who has grown with QB's and VESTA's. Maybe there is something to be had with the greater CRI rating.

Well at any rate, I figure you knowable folk may be able to give a little advise. I am considering two different configurations for a grow cabinet that is 24x36x72 inches. Of the two configurations, which do you think would be more productive? It would need to be used for both Veg and Flower.

Configuration 1 consists of 10 Bridgelux VESTA BXEB-TL-2750G-3000-A-13 strips arranged as shown below. They will be driven with two separate drivers to address the two different channels separately.
Bridgelux VESTA Layout.png

Configuration 2 consists of 6 HLG QB96 strips and two QB18 strips arranged as shown below. The QB18 strips will only be on for flowering.
QB96 and QB18 Layout.png

Total delivered wattage to either configuration will be limited to 240 watts. Not 240w from the wall, but 240 watts to the LED fixture. I do understand that this will create greater than 240w from the wall.

I would like to apologize for the dim pictures as the CAD software I was using would only allow me to export as an image with a black background. So with all that said, please feel free to make recommendations and/or let me know your feelings. Just please explain your rational a little so I understand where you are coming from. I know there has to be better configurations out there that I haven't considered.
I finally have them running. 300w into 8 strips, feeding both channels. Next to them theres a LG 730w sulfur plasma. The vestas are notably brighter, to the point of seeming of a higher color temperature. The vestas are around 3800k and the plasma is 4500k.
Nothing to report yet, though. Spread out diodes give great penetration.

I spread my strips out a little, so in a line of 8 the 2 central ones are furthest, and the distance between the strips reduces about 2cm per strip going out. If the distance is the same, you will have higher light intensity in the middle.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I'm just doing some testing with my multimeter, 8x 2700k row of 2" vesta and a CV HLG-100H-24B and I just can't understand why, when a measure the current and the voltage, the numbers are the following:

Voltage of 24 V.
Current of 2.8 A.

Why aren't the strips pulling more current? If I read the datasheet:
Capture d’écran 2018-08-22 à 15.39.05.png
I would expect them to pull 0.6 A, not 0.35 A. Any idea why? I'm only using 67,2% of the driver capacity, this is annoying!
I should probably divide that number by 2.

Also, if I run both rows at 0.35A (0.7 total), they are quite hot (Barely touchable)
Kiwi_Jezza
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

What is your exact circuit voltage? 8 strips at that drivers constant voltage would want 4.8A, which is outside its range therefore kicking it into constant current mode. Maybe?
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Hyakutak wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:41 pm
I'm just doing some testing with my multimeter, 8x 2700k row of 2" vesta and a CV HLG-100H-24B and I just can't understand why, when a measure the current and the voltage, the numbers are the following:

Voltage of 24 V.
Current of 2.8 A.

Why aren't the strips pulling more current? If I read the datasheet:

Capture d’écran 2018-08-22 à 15.39.05.png

I would expect them to pull 0.6 A, not 0.35 A. Any idea why? I'm only using 67,2% of the driver capacity, this is annoying!
I should probably divide that number by 2.

Also, if I run both rows at 0.35A (0.7 total), they are quite hot (Barely touchable)
Do you have a potentiometer hooked up? If so what kind? Try running with the wires wide open.
NothinYet is my nickname
x86ricer
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Don't know if anyone has noticed the resent price increase for the Bridgelux VESTA BXEB-TL-2750G-3000-A-13 strips. Digikey had them for $9.xx and now they are $12.39. But Arrow is selling them for $11.31 (Changed this week from 9 and change). If you order them from their sister site www.verical.com, you can use the coupon code 12FLASH for 12% off. That puts them to just under $10 a piece. The only catch is the coupon code is only good through the rest of the day. So I picked up 10 of them. Don't know if anyone else was on the fence about buying some like I was. Hope this helps.