New Build, New Questions

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
bhaze
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Glad to see you have your very own forum now: you deserve to have some of the burden taken off your shoulders now that we can discuss as a community! I'd also like to thank you one last time for making and updating your COB+Driver spreadsheet; it is such an useful resource for playing around with configurations or as a quick reference to the pertinent specs of a driver.

Alright, I plan on expanding my very limited grow space by utilizing the area under my sink; I will be moving my two R.O. tanks to a shelf on the wall, and will have a space of roughly 30"x42"x42" (L x W x H; inches).

I went ahead and ordered (6) SI-B8T05128HUS from Digikey and they should be here this week. I have two HLG-240H-1050b drivers laying around that I plan to use to power these strips.
The Forward Voltage of each strip is 22.5V, and the drivers max is 238V (is this to compensate on the +/-1% tolerance?), so I should be able to run 10 strips per driver.

Considering I made the mistake of only ordering (6) strips as I thought that was enough to sufficiently illuminate my small space for seedlings, I am now wondering if there are any special considerations I should take into how these strips are wired together. I had planned to wire these in series, as that is what I'm (barely) familiar with, but I'm open to trying a parallel setup using one or two drivers.

Item List:
(6) SI-B8T05128HUS
(2) MeanWell HLG-240H-1050b
Going to acquire Aluminum strips for heatsinks
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Hey man, thanks for registering.

Absolute max current for each of those strips is 600 mA so with 6 strips you're going to have to parallel at least 2 together per group. If you do 2 per group, you'll be pushing 175mA per diode which is 88% of max. You'll probably want to dim them a little to be safe.

Only potential problem I see is that if you have 3 groups of 2 strips, that's only 72V and the minimum for constant current range on that driver is 119-238V. Checking the test report for that driver though, the constant current region extended all the way down from 237V to .3V.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

I don't know if the company that hosts this site offers you stats on which pages are viewed and how often - but the stats for the page with the COB @ mA to Driver selector must appear to the algorithm tracking the stats as a DDoS attack, I'm on there so often!
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Lol. I use it a ton myself too.

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
bhaze
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hmmm, so I been reading through your lm561c post and it seems to me that I need at least 4 or 5 pairs of strips to effectively utilize this driver. I went ahead and ordered four more strips.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

With 10 strips total, 5 groups of 2 would probably be the way to go, and then dim the driver a little.