Genuine Chinese Sellers

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
CrazyFool
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:01 pm
Some drivers do have a range of voltages they will work with, but none currently can do 24 to 1200volts. That's a huge difference. Not to mention that 1200volts would be playing with death.

You could go with a design with, say, 5strips per driver, 10 drivers at 10watts each, and turn drivers on/off according to your needs.
Thanks buddy.

What about something like a 24v constant voltage driver with a buck convertor or a flywheel circuit to limit the current to ~50 mA?

I hear they are very efficient.

What is multiplexing?
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

CrazyFool wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:26 pm
What about something like a 24v constant voltage driver with a buck convertor or a flywheel circuit to limit the current to ~50 mA?
Having a large 24VDC power supply feeding multiple buck converters for each strip is an option. However I don't really see any off-the-shelf 50mA buck converters that aren't tiny chips you'll need to solder.
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Anything between driver and strips will lower efficiency. But why would you want to step down the voltage? just put 2x 12v strips in series and you get 24volts, rest of the strips in parallel and you're good to go. You can modify its brightness through PWM.
But you can't individually switch off strips. You would need a mcu with enough output pins to match strips number or you would need a multiplexer to increase the available pins.

I don't know how current is modified through the circuit when one of many buck converters is switched off
CrazyFool
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:52 pm
Having a large 24VDC power supply feeding multiple buck converters for each strip is an option. However I don't really see any off-the-shelf 50mA buck converters that aren't tiny chips you'll need to solder.
I don't have an issue with soldering tiny chips.
There seem to be a few instructables online.
Grower wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:57 pm
Anything between driver and strips will lower efficiency. But why would you want to step down the voltage? just put 2x 12v strips in series and you get 24volts, rest of the strips in parallel and you're good to go. You can modify its brightness through PWM.
But you can't individually switch off strips. You would need a mcu with enough output pins to match strips number or you would need a multiplexer to increase the available pins.

I don't know how current is modified through the circuit when one of many buck converters is switched off
What is an MCU and multiplexer?
I don't really want to step down voltage.
The strips already come as 24v strips. (8 diodes, 3v each)
I don't have any particular preference of how the strips should be arranged.
All I know is that I want ~250 lumens per strip and I want them as efficient as I can practically make em.
I want ideas from you knowledgeable folks on how best I can do this :-)

Thanks for all the help thus far.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Where does the requirement to be able to turn them individually on/off come from?
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

CrazyFool wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:42 pm

What is an MCU and multiplexer?
I don't really want to step down voltage.
The strips already come as 24v strips. (8 diodes, 3v each)
I don't have any particular preference of how the strips should be arranged.
All I know is that I want ~250 lumens per strip and I want them as efficient as I can practically make em.
I want ideas from you knowledgeable folks on how best I can do this :-)

Thanks for all the help thus far.
So you already know what strips are you going to use? post the specs. We can't know how much lumens or lm/w any strip is going to output. You should do some test by urself and find out the voltage-current to get 250lm.

It is not easy to control each strip separately using a single driver.
I would use a microcontroller (mcu) and mosfets to control each driver and the connected group of strips.
CrazyFool
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Grower wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:26 am
So you already know what strips are you going to use? post the specs. We can't know how much lumens or lm/w any strip is going to output. You should do some test by urself and find out the voltage-current to get 250lm.

It is not easy to control each strip separately using a single driver.
I would use a microcontroller (mcu) and mosfets to control each driver and the connected group of strips.
Shimbob wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:56 am
Where does the requirement to be able to turn them individually on/off come from?
Thanks for the replies.
I think I have an idea as to what strips I want but I'm happy to change based on your advice. I'm more concerned about getting the driver right, so effectively I want to base the strips around the driver because I have a very atypical application needing to run each strip at a very small amount of power.

I was provisionally thinking of lm561c strips off meiju. 8 LEDs per segment.
According to the Samsung calculator, at 55mA, each diode would pull 2.63v to deliver 252 lumens per strip.
At 80% electrical efficiency that would be 1.4 Watts per strip.

How good or bad would the circuitry in an LED light bulb be?:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.elec ... uit/%3famp

I'm guessing all the surplus energy is lost as heat?

Would a constant voltage power supply be a good idea with buck convertors (or similar constant current gate circuitry) at each strip?

Thanks again