Flipping with 5000k

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I'm in a pickle. How feasible is it to use a 5000k veg light for the first couple weeks of flip & flower?

We have two tents, a 4x4 veg and a 4x8 flower. The veg tent has our next round of plants currently vegging under our veg light (~190W of cobs & strips, all 5000K.)

Due to circumstances our next round has vegged for far too long and it's reaching a height that will make flowering in our flower tent challenging.

Our new flower light (600w of 3000k) hasn't been assembled yet, I think I will be able to get it done in the next couple weeks.

So my question is, could I flip our next round right now, under the 5000k light, and move them into the flower tent once our new light is assembled? I know 5000k is terrible for flowers but I need to trigger the flowering process ASAP before they get too tall to deal with. It seems like since the process of flipping is mainly due to the change in light schedule and not so much the spectrum that this should work out.

It's a one-time thing, our following round after this one should not veg as long.
Professor Xavier
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

You'll be just fine. The downside isn't the inability to flip to flower, it's an extra week or so of flower - give or take a few days.
Last edited by Professor Xavier on Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
gbauto
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I'd think that you should be ok to initiate with the 5k. Once you get fully into flower I would try to give them a spectrum a bit better suited for flower.
Futuregrow
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Starting flowering with the cold spectrum may be an advantage to you in terms of reduced stretch also, but I'd suggest only leaving them under the colder light for 2 weeks max. Get that warm light assembled pronto.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Thanks for the confirmations, definitely need to keep the stretch down.

Our plans changed after all. Consulted with the wife about the situation and her suggestion is that we'll mother these tall plants and instead we'll flower the runts that I have been keeping in 4" pots. The runts that she originally asked me to toss out because we had plenty of healthier ones. Funny how it goes.