chilled and cob build idea 4x8

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesnโ€™t fit elsewhere, put it here.
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I have a 4x8 tent I want to switch from 1k se hps to led. I was thinking of doing a hybrid chilled and cob build. I have a ton of magnum xxxl 6" hoods i would like to use as the housing for these leds and for active cooling.
Heres my idea and questions.

The magnum hood is something like 33x26 inches, i forget the exact dimensions. My idea is to get 4 90w chilled boards and run them in the corners of the magnum hoods mounted long ways down the hoods longest length. Then 5 vero29 50v chips at 1400 is a + pattern in the center of the hood and between the boards.

My question:
I'm filling a 4x8 tent with these. I dont run c02 and I want to max out as close to 1k ppfd as I can. Will two hoods built this way cover my space well enough? Is it too much light? Growmou5 told me that something like 483 watts of chilled is a direct replacement to 1khps. Should i Just run 5 chilled boards in each hood 90s in the corner and a 175 in the center? My main concern here is that 2 hoods wont evenly cover my space. I'm pretty sure either lighting config is plenty on the ppfd side. Would I be better off using 3 hoods and deviding the lighting between them? I have friggin 11 magnum xxxl hoods so thats not much of an issue.

Thanks in advance,
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Welcome to the fun of this forum!!!! your ideas are awesome!! I love it when people reusing what they got on hand!!!

I like both ideas. but the numbers are a little off for the 1k ppfd according to ChilLED Tech's website. GM5's answer of roughly 483watts = 1k hps is spot on. I'm noticing that with my hlg480h-c2100b and 4 quantum boards. but to get my 1k ppfd in my 5 x 5 I need roughly 8 boards. on ChilLED's website they recommend 8 90w boards or 4 175w boards for 1k ppfd in a 4 x 4 (16 Sq ft)

where you planning of cooling the heat sinks and drivers with the active cooling?? or just the heat sinks with remote drivers outside the tent?? I'm wondering how Many drivers would fit inside each hood.. and to do 8/4 board setups you would need minimum of 4 in either setup. the 8 or 4 boards would fit no problem though.

your ideas of 4 90w with cobs or 4 90w and a 175 in the middle I'm guessing (without any meter) would have you in the 800-900ppfd range.. I would be happy with it and I'm sure my girls would love it also. to get the perfect spread and coverage would depend on hanging height, spacing of the boards and if your using reflectors on cobs or covers on the boards.. two fixtures, one center in each 4x4 side of the tent should be fine. but you could always do 3 and dim them down.. maybe some chilLED Tech boards in the outer fixtures and a hood with cobs in the center sound fun also!!

again love the ideas and welcome to the forum ๐Ÿ˜
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Thank you. So, the idea currently most likely won't be much of an improvement to my 1k setups. I'd like to try and not only gain on light output but save on some power, although im not opposed to just matching watt for watt, from what ive read if I do that with chilled boards and cobs ill be way over the maximum ppfd i can run without c02.

I do intend to stuff all the drivers inside the hoods. I was figuring the 200w driver per 2 90w chilled boards and I think it was the hlg 480 that would power the 5-50v cobs at 1400? I forget i know it was a single driver. I think they should fit. so perhaps add the third hood with a single 200 watt board in the center surrounded by cobs. I can fit 3 hoods with the hood exhaust facing me so my exhaust line would be a 'S" pretty much. Two hoods if i want a straight shot. If I go with 3 hoods I might just do a single 200w chilled in each and add more cobs. Cut down on the cost some while still getting that nice spectrum added.

I wasn't planning on running any kind of optics, i figured with the reflective walls I should be ok, is that not a good idea? No cover on the chilled board either I dont think, i recall growmou5 saying that they cut 6-8% light or some such? I DO foliar, but i can just raise them and be careful. I mean, are they going to explode if a single drop gets on em?

You raise a good point i really should run dimmers, I'll have to research how do to that exactly, I know the drivers have cords for it. I have seen posts where these leds bleach plants and I have been known to have grows go a little wild on me.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I totally get it.. I'm in the same boat not running co2 and in a tent without reflectors.. raising it for foilar in veg.. running half what I should.. but equaling my old hps ๐Ÿ˜

I see... your planning on single driver over the multi for dimmable color channels.(GM5's ChilLED video from a few months back). dimming is easy to hook up if you get a B driver. Ledgardener has youtube video and thread in here on it.

yes I remember him saying that about the covers for the chilLED boards... but that was before the new coating was released ๐Ÿ˜ it's still got to drop a tiny bit, but not the 6-8% if was with the original ones.

keep asking and Serching on here!! you'll have it up and going before you know it!

cheers!!
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

cool thanks. Yeah I'm not too concerned about having control over the different channels. Im not sure why I would ever need to anyway? Well in about a week or so I'll be placing an order for the first 4x8 at least. When I do, I'm going to post a list here in case I forget something.

Post is still open to comments, if anyone thinks im wasting money on chilled, or has an idea im not thinking of id love to hear it.

Thanks again, loving this forum
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I don't think ChilLED Tech is a waste of money ๐Ÿ˜ I just couldn't afford it when I wanted to start a build. I can't wait to see what growmau5 was talking about!!!! New boards and controller that will play nice with other 50-54v range boards!!! that would be the only thing that might make me hold off buying anything yet if I was starting fresh.. because I like to support everybody!! I hope they make colored 52v boards to add with my quantum boards ๐Ÿ˜
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Hey dude. I think your original idea of 4x ChilLED boards + 5x COBs would be plenty for a 4x4. 2 of these would do a 4x8 nicely.

That'd be about 900W of LED per 4x4 which should net you a lot of light. You're right - you'd need an HLG-480H to run those 5 50V COBs per hood.

I don't think you'd need to run 3 hoods for spacing - 2 of them should cover well enough. Sounds like a sweet project and I'd love to see some pics as you put it together!
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Thanks, I will definitely be posting pics as the build starts and progresses. Warning though, im not great at making things look pretty! :?

Jolly green whats this? Chilled is planning new boards? I missed this if I'm understanding you right please explain.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

secondhandname wrote: โ†‘
Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:32 pm
Jolly green whats this? Chilled is planning new boards? I missed this if I'm understanding you right please explain.
check out gm5's last video ๐Ÿ˜
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDrGlnCL2p0
if you can find my comment I asked if the 50-52volt range boards they were coming out with would work with my 54v quantum.. he confirmed it!! ๐Ÿ˜ So they working on something to come out before the year is over!!
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

https://chilledgrowlights.com/product-c ... ight-parts

just noticed the top of their page today!!! now I'm getting excited!!!!