How to do Series/Parallel combo.

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Darkomatized
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello! I got some EB gen 2 stripes and I need to hook em up as 2 stripes combined to series, and do around 16 of those. Then take those 16 pairs and hook em in series. I tried to do this but as result I only hear humming sound and nothing happends when I stick it to the wall.
Potatoes!
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I only ever connected in parallel, so don't know about series. Do you have any idea where the problem might be? perhaps you need to draw a diagram on how you connected them so it will be easier for people to figure out whats wrong
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

LedGardener got you covered
although i sometimes still don't get all the different ways of combinations of serial and parallel
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

What driver are you using?
Darkomatized
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Driver:
https://www.digikey.fi/product-detail/e ... ND/7704115
Leds:
https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detai ... ND/7907663

So basicly I got 32x those leds and I need to hook em up as so in the video (16 parallel + 16 parallel I think?) But as I was allready half done I came to realization that how I do it without melting the wires or the top leds? (I'm possibly understanding something wrong :? )
In my mind I should now make 16 leds parallel with wire bundles and then hook that wire groups plus side bundle (not straight from led) to other groups minus side bundle. But oh I dont want to blow my leds or my wires or myself so not trying it till someone more professional helps me a little.
Cheers for interest!
Potatoes!
CallMeWoody
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I don't know how to answer you since I don't really understand the layout you want to use...
But here is the plan I did for my fixture which might guide you on what you want to use.
There is 6 EBs in series * 4 in parallel

Can you draw the plan you were think about ?
I will take a look and try to improve it if needed.
Darkomatized
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hmmh. I dont know what program to use so i could do that kind of fancy drawings, but basicly:

Driver 11A and 44V that needs to be split to 22V and 0.5A per led.
I have 32 Leds.
Potatoes!
Capt. Saicin
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

2 Strips with 22V each in Series pushes the Volt per 2-Strip-Combo to 44V. So youd need 16x 2-Strip-Series-Combos in parallel to distribute the Amps while keeping it at 44V.
11A/16(2-Strip-Series-Combos)=0.68A each Series-Combo/Strip (since Amps dont get halved when wired in Series).

Wiring is basically the same as in CallMeWoody's picture. Hope this helps!