Led Noob Diy Build Help

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
rdooski3
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

After browsing 2 days for the cheapest way to come up with a heatsink I believe I found what I was looking for. I was gonna use some 8ft aluminum c-channel at $11 a stick which I would need at least 3 of so each light strip could have one. But managed to find some commercial 18x26 aluminum cooking trays for $5 each on craigslist which Im gonna use 3 of. Crazy they have a couple hundred of them available. Other good options I found were a aluminum ruler/straight edge and the aluminum sticks of trim used on flooring transitions. Cool they even had added ridges. I also considered cutting up a old aluminum ladder I have. And I was looking at some track for track lighting to hit 3 birds with one stone. Moving ability, heatsink, and it could power them. But it was out of my price range.
Last edited by rdooski3 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

lovely. I was looking at alu ladders too. Was thinking if I found the right size if would make a pretty awesome frame/ heatsink :D
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
rdooski3
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

It could definitely work. The one i have is a 10ft step ladder too so the legs are full solid pieces. Basically could get 4 10ft sticks of 4in wide c-channel out of it. Another thing I came across was a large used aluminum truck toolbox. Guy only wanted $40 and it had a ton of material.

My driver and strippers arrived today, time to get the party started :D
So far I only have exactly $135 shipped into the build.

rdooski3
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Im also considering adding one of these. Thought it would be a nice touch and they're cheap.