UV module build

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

:EDIT: They said 0.1 umol, which is a weired value for UV. No talk of 0.1mw :EDIT

The 0.1mw recommended in their research should be 5x the typical at sea level, and 1.25x whats concidered typical for mountains. If I was mountain climbing I would be more worried about falling, then UV.

This will likely cost me more to test then getting a couple of reptile bulbs, but I saw so many mentions of plant damage when reading about them, and reportedly so little damage with this method, that I'm not expecting trouble... more worried about no effect at all.

If I don't see the responses I'm looking for I might use these to do some tests on killing pests, or create a moldy environment side by side in 2x2's to test other potential. Leaving these on for a few days between cycles could make sense too.

If nothing works I might make something like the UV gear that they use for disinfecting surgical equipment, blasting all the power in a tiny enclosed area.
Last edited by unkle_psycho on Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Marine2143 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:49 am
Wear sunglasses during the day is the recommendation.https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/grad/uv.html
No uvc
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:41 am
The 0.1mw recommended in their research should be 5x the typical at sea level, and 1.25x whats concidered typical for mountains. If I was mountain climbing I would be more worried about falling, then UV.

This will likely cost me more to test then getting a couple of reptile bulbs, but I saw so many mentions of plant damage when reading about them, and reportedly so little damage with this method, that I'm not expecting trouble... more worried about no effect at all.

If I don't see the responses I'm looking for I might use these to do some tests on killing pests, or create a moldy environment side by side in 2x2's to test other potential. Leaving these on for a few days between cycles could make sense too.

If nothing works I might make something like the UV gear that they use for disinfecting surgical equipment, blasting all the power in a tiny enclosed area.
There is virtually no uvc at sea level or at the tops of Hawaiian mountains...the atmosphere screens it out....it’s why plants haven’t adapted to it...if even possible...

Not sure about those diodes, but i have two uvc units which absolutely can wipe out powdery mildew, and any other living organism, with sufficient dosage....if you can get sufficient coverage of affected plant parts...but your plants will be damaged....
B937365D-2D97-49F3-A13C-14B7CED101C6.jpeg
5B97AEB6-CD79-425D-A39F-0FFE1B33C781.jpeg

But, again, i’d be happy to see you make it work....
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

More Hawaiian research on UV from sea level to the mountain top.https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... i'i_Island
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Marine2143 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:02 pm
More Hawaiian research on UV from sea level to the mountain top.https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... i'i_Island
Do you understand the numbers from the seoul video?

The dude says one 10mw diode is good at any working distance, I feel its such a vague expression, can't believe he would use it.

Then he specifies that the min light level they could measure gene activation was 0.1umol/m2. All the diodes and other things I see specify output in mW, not umol, so again I wonder if its such a simple calculation that he expects his listeners to do it on the fly.

Finally they have a chart on power levels they worked with, and express it as 0.05-0.74W/m2. I'm wondering if those watts are the radiant watt output, or electrical watts or what... At one point of the lecture he does say covering UV needs with one watt, ensures efficiency, so I guess he is talking about it like we do when we say 480w/ 4x4
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Aloha & A simple answer to Dr. Barbers video and research would be as a horticulturist with a basic understanding of lighting is no. We are asking Seoul Semiconductor to keep us on the list for test modules and data sheets. Sam the Skunkman is interested in increasing terpenes on his Skunk #1 and Haze strains too.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Marine2143 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:55 pm
Aloha & A simple answer to Dr. Barbers video and research would be as a horticulturist with a basic understanding of lighting is no. We are asking Seoul Semiconductor to keep us on the list for test modules and data sheets. Sam the Skunkman is interested in increasing terpenes on his Skunk #1 and Haze strains too.
I guess I'll bother them with emails until I can make sense out of that. I mean Seoul is in the game to make and sell the chips right?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:03 pm
Marine2143 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:55 pm
I guess I'll bother them with emails until I can make sense out of that. I mean Seoul is in the game to make and sell the chips right?
Seoul is in the game to make money no matter how they have to do it, need to do your own studies.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Aloha & In my notes Dr. Barber said 1w per square meter. This looks interesting. I wonder how long they will last.https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 599bAyudgU
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Marine2143 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:58 pm
Aloha & In my notes Dr. Barber said 1w per square meter. This looks interesting. I wonder how long they will last.https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 599bAyudgU
The entire issue with these LEDs is you can't see them. It may last a year but you will have no idea of how intense they are, they may just be using power and not doing anything.
I wouldn't trust anything from Alibaba with 285nm at all. Need to at least stick to a brand name unless lm70 testing has been done. Most companies do not have spectrometers to do lm70 testing on 285nm leds.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik