Genuine Chinese Sellers

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Futuregrow
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

CrazyFool wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:13 pm
Thanks for the reply fella.

So there's no way of knowing exactly which voltage bin you're getting, you're only choice is XA and XK?
No look on the right it has A1VCS6, it specifies A1 voltage bin which is 2.8 - 2.9 at 65mA forward current.

If you're ready to buy some stuff, I've got some luminaires in stock that may suit your needs and I'll give you a surprisingly good price. It'll save you time and hassle. Let me know if you're interested at all and we can chat about whether it'd suit your needs. Cheers :)
CrazyFool
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Futuregrow wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:36 am
No look on the right it has A1VCS6, it specifies A1 voltage bin which is 2.8 - 2.9 at 65mA forward current.

If you're ready to buy some stuff, I've got some luminaires in stock that may suit your needs and I'll give you a surprisingly good price. It'll save you time and hassle. Let me know if you're interested at all and we can chat about whether it'd suit your needs. Cheers :)
Sounds good buddy
What are my driver options? How do I power many small runs with each being turned on/off individually.
Anything cheap and efficient?
Do I still get the LEDs wired in series for these small runs? (8-12 diodes)
Cheers
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

CrazyFool wrote:

I'm almost ready to place my order.
I just need advice about drivers. And in what orientation I should have my diodes wired - series/ paralel etc.
I'm mainly looking to have lots of small strips for decorative lighting. Each strip (8-12 diodes) delivering roughly 250 lumens or 1-2w. How do I drive these small runs?
I will also eventually run longer strips for growing my strawberries/mint/microgreens. I imagine that will be a lot simpler.

Thanks again

Crazy
It does depend on what strips are you going to use, both series/parallel wiring are ok. Did you see the post by LedG on the blog with several DIY builds?
CrazyFool
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Grower wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:48 pm
CrazyFool wrote:

I'm almost ready to place my order.
I just need advice about drivers. And in what orientation I should have my diodes wired - series/ paralel etc.
I'm mainly looking to have lots of small strips for decorative lighting. Each strip (8-12 diodes) delivering roughly 250 lumens or 1-2w. How do I drive these small runs?
I will also eventually run longer strips for growing my strawberries/mint/microgreens. I imagine that will be a lot simpler.

Thanks again

Crazy
It does depend on what strips are you going to use, both series/parallel wiring are ok. Did you see the post by LedG on the blog with several DIY builds?
Maybe, which article are you referring to?
Either way I don't think there's any guide for driving LEDs efficiently at 1-2w total.
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

CrazyFool wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:18 am
Either way I don't think there's any guide for driving LEDs efficiently at 1-2w total.
http://ledgardener.com/diy-led-strip-bu ... bridgelux/

This could be a good starting point since it seems I can't understand what are you really looking for.

There is no magic trick for driving leds efficiently. The lower the current, the higher the efficiency is.
CrazyFool
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Grower wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:53 pm
CrazyFool wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:18 am
http://ledgardener.com/diy-led-strip-bu ... bridgelux/

This could be a good starting point since it seems I can't understand what are you really looking for.

There is no magic trick for driving leds efficiently. The lower the current, the higher the efficiency is.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I've read that article.

I'm not trying to set up a quantum board exactly.
I need 50 or so small strips of LEDs.
I only need 200-300 lumens of light per strip.

I basically want to know which driver to use.
The drivers that are often spoken about here drive hundreds of watts.
I need a driver that will work efficiently at 1-2 watts.
I'm not sure what is available and am wondering if its worth making my own bridge rectifier with buck converter circuit.

Thanks again

Crazy
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

CrazyFool wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:12 am
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I've read that article.

I'm not trying to set up a quantum board exactly.
I need 50 or so small strips of LEDs.
I only need 200-300 lumens of light per strip.

I basically want to know which driver to use.
The drivers that are often spoken about here drive hundreds of watts.
I need a driver that will work efficiently at 1-2 watts.
I'm not sure what is available and am wondering if its worth making my own bridge rectifier with buck converter circuit.

Thanks again

Crazy
You can go as big or as small as you want.
Firstly you should decide what strips do you want to use, check their voltage and current.
50 strips at 2 watt each are 100watts so you are going to use common drivers, nothing strange or ultra low power.
Depends on whats strips are you going to get and how you want to wire everything together.
CrazyFool
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Grower wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:17 pm

Firstly you should decide what strips do you want to use, check their voltage and current.
50 strips at 2 watt each are 100watts so you are going to use common drivers, nothing strange or ultra low power.
Depends on whats strips are you going to get and how you want to wire everything together.
Can each strip be turned on and off Individually?
So let's say I have 8 diodes per strip so 24v per strip.
Between 0 and 50 strips could be on at any one time.
So the driver has to be capable of supplying 24-1200 volts @ 50ma
Does such a product exist?

That's assuming I get constant current strips.
Would it better to go a constant voltage route in my application?

I hope that's a bit clearer. Please forgive my superficial understanding of electronics.

Thanks

Crazy
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Some drivers do have a range of voltages they will work with, but none currently can do 24 to 1200volts. That's a huge difference. Not to mention that 1200volts would be playing with death.

You could go with a design with, say, 5strips per driver, 10 drivers at 10watts each, and turn drivers on/off according to your needs.
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

CrazyFool wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:26 pm
Grower wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:17 pm

Can each strip be turned on and off Individually?
So let's say I have 8 diodes per strip so 24v per strip.
Between 0 and 50 strips could be on at any one time.
So the driver has to be capable of supplying 24-1200 volts @ 50ma
Does such a product exist?

That's assuming I get constant current strips.
Would it better to go a constant voltage route in my application?

I hope that's a bit clearer. Please forgive my superficial understanding of electronics.

Thanks

Crazy
flexible strips could be better suited for your needs, cheaper and many different options available.
You can't wire all strips in series: voltage would be too much high and you would notice current drops anyway.
A mix of series and parallel is needed. Decide what strip product you want to use, check its voltage and current.
Wiring everything off a single driver would be too much hassle if you want to switch on/off strips individually. Probably with some kind of multiplexing