UV module build

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Yep, buying white led from alibaba was scary enough.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

It doesn't matter where you buy them from, if you can't see it then how will you know what it is doing exactly.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:36 am
It doesn't matter where you buy them from, if you can't see it then how will you know what it is doing exactly.
There is some danger in loosing all trust in humanity, although it might at times seem tempting. When I first started with LED I realized I won't have the budget to invest in PAR meters etc. and decided to stick to established manufacturers, with the hope that this would at least allow me to do calculations. Finally working with common elements ensured that there are some people with measuring gear posting results that allow me to to do minor verification on how theory plays out in a ppfd chart. Results never seem to be so far of expectations to cause any mayor scandals.

For me, assuming that Seoul is as untrustworthy as some alibaba provider is a bridge too far. I'd have to assume that somewhere in the medical and water cleansing fields these chips are aimed for, there would be some players who have the resources for verification. I wonder what kind of scandal Seoul would find themselves in if a water supplier was forced to announce that everyone downstream has been exposed to bacterial contamination thanks to a fake UV diode. What kinds of liabilities would they open themselves to in the US hospital market where UV-c disinfection plays a central role?

I used to build motorcycles, and had the opportunity to buy a 400cc RR track bike. You could not measure the structures of the gasoline additives needed to keep that engine running smooth, but observation was enough to confirm they were working.

So while I do feel skepticism is warranted, I do also try to keep a minimum of trust in humanity too. I would hesitate to sell a UV module if I could not measure its UV output, but finally results are what matters, so if I had to choose between two companies selling UV modules, and one had done a lot of tests on the light, while the other had done a lot of tests on the plants cannabinoid profiles, I would buy the latter.
Randomblame
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Sorry, I'm a bit late..

I would use this diode. That's the one recommended in the video and it has 280-290nm and very low output in the UVC range(<280nm). Its a 100mA diode with 10mW output, with a series parallel circuit of we should be able to find a siutable driver. A 5x 1w ebay driver has usually 17v and ~270mA. With 2s3p each diode would get around 90mA and produce ~9mW.
6 of them would create 54mW/s of 285nm.

http://www.s-et.com/upload2/CUD8GF1B_R1.0.pdf

You remember that picture here was used to explain how much is needed and how much time it needs to be on.
Benötigte Intensität und Länge der UV Behandlung.png
54mW is 0,054W if we use this amount of light and look at the chart above we see 0,05W in the 1st green row. Below that you see how long in takes until you have a dose of 360 and 540J/m2. Exactly 2h for 360 and 3h for 540.

The rows below that are for diodes with 300-310nm output. 1000J/m2 is already in the red range with 0,05W of 280-290nm.

Such an ebay driver costs 1,50$ or so. Not the best ones, <80% efficiency but you would use less than 12v so there is enough head room. If you want you could change the 105°C input capacitor against a 150° one. That helps a lot and makes them much more durable. But they are cheap; maybe easier to take a few of them. They run 2-3h per day and should at least run a year or so.
I've downloaded the according pdf from the Seti/Seoulviosys UVB test(there was a download link below that video) but I can still not upload pdf's. Is it really not allowed to upload useful pdf's?

Here is a workaround...
If you're interested download the 1st file below(next evolution ..) and delete the .jpg part to make is a pdf again.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Randomblame wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:08 am
Sorry, I'm a bit late..

I would use this diode. That's the one recommended in the video and it has 280-290nm and very low output in the UVC range(<280nm). Its a 100mA diode with 10mW output, with a series parallel circuit of we should be able to find a siutable driver. A 5x 1w ebay driver has usually 17v and ~270mA. With 2s3p each diode would get around 90mA and produce ~9mW.
6 of them would create 54mW/s of 285nm.

http://www.s-et.com/upload2/CUD8GF1B_R1.0.pdf

You remember that picture here was used to explain how much is needed and how much time it needs to be on.
Benötigte Intensität und Länge der UV Behandlung.png

54mW is 0,054W if we use this amount of light and look at the chart above we see 0,05W in the 1st green row. Below that you see how long in takes until you have a dose of 360 and 540J/m2. Exactly 2h for 360 and 3h for 540.

The rows below that are for diodes with 300-310nm output. 1000J/m2 is already in the red range with 0,05W of 280-290nm.

Such an ebay driver costs 1,50$ or so. Not the best ones, <80% efficiency but you would use less than 12v so there is enough head room. If you want you could change the 105°C input capacitor against a 150° one. That helps a lot and makes them much more durable. But they are cheap; maybe easier to take a few of them. They run 2-3h per day and should at least run a year or so.
I've downloaded the according pdf from the Seti/Seoulviosys UVB test(there was a download link below that video) but I can still not upload pdf's. Is it really not allowed to upload useful pdf's?

Here is a workaround...
If you're interested download the 1st file below(next evolution ..) and delete the .jpg part to make is a pdf again.
I saw the Seoul chips at digikey, they were about 17e each. I can also get them, but already ordered the chips that I mentioned at the beginning of the thread. I was thinking that 4x4mw would be superior to 1 10mw diode because of coverage etc.

Do you have any idea of how I could estimate the 0.1umol/s power level, and how that relates to the mw/cm2 figure?
Randomblame
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:41 am
The 0.1mw recommended in their research should be 5x the typical at sea level, and 1.25x whats concidered typical for mountains. If I was mountain climbing I would be more worried about falling, then UV.

This will likely cost me more to test then getting a couple of reptile bulbs, but I saw so many mentions of plant damage when reading about them, and reportedly so little damage with this method, that I'm not expecting trouble... more worried about no effect at all.

If I don't see the responses I'm looking for I might use these to do some tests on killing pests, or create a moldy environment side by side in 2x2's to test other potential. Leaving these on for a few days between cycles could make sense too.

If nothing works I might make something like the UV gear that they use for disinfecting surgical equipment, blasting all the power in a tiny enclosed area.
Lol, tell that Reinhold Messner who is a german himalaya climber. Besides on losing a few of his toes he got skin cancer on both of his ears cuz he has burned them so badly. And snow makes the UVB even more harmful cuz he reflects it directly into your eyes! Above a certain level you need rather to wear something like an integral helmet to protect you properly.. A beany is no longer enough..

If we use 6 diodes and 0,05W of radiated UVB/285nm per m2 we need 2-3h according to the Seti tests. That leaves enough room for testing lower and higher amounts of UVB to find out from which point it gets dangerous and how much can be used without getting damage.
With such an 5x 1w driver that would be ~4w at the wall. Or 8-12w per day. Compared to two 3ft reptile bulbs(78w) that's a huge difference and those bulbs have to run 3-6h per day, that's 250-500w/day. So if it really works that way and I think it should we can save a lot of energy.
You could use even more diodes and watts to further reduce the daily treatments but these diodes are expensive and the more you use the longer it takes until you get your money back from energy savings. Makes no sense! With less UVB/s you also have more control about how much they get.
Randomblame
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:39 pm
Marine2143 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:02 pm
More Hawaiian research on UV from sea level to the mountain top.https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... i'i_Island
Do you understand the numbers from the seoul video?

The dude says one 10mw diode is good at any working distance, I feel its such a vague expression, can't believe he would use it.

Then he specifies that the min light level they could measure gene activation was 0.1umol/m2. All the diodes and other things I see specify output in mW, not umol, so again I wonder if its such a simple calculation that he expects his listeners to do it on the fly.

Finally they have a chart on power levels they worked with, and express it as 0.05-0.74W/m2. I'm wondering if those watts are the radiant watt output, or electrical watts or what... At one point of the lecture he does say covering UV needs with one watt, ensures efficiency, so I guess he is talking about it like we do when we say 480w/ 4x4
Yeah, I've uploaded that part of the pdf above. In the very 1. row they say "power density(W/m²)x time = dosage in J/m²" so they talk about radiated watts not total watts used.
You could get away using only 1w at the wall. If we need 4w for 2-3h you could use 1w for 8-12h to get the same dose. Still the same 8-12w per day but only 0,0135w radiated UVB instead 0,54w. But you can't use 1,5 diodes and for 2 diodes the small e3ay driver has too much current. You could use 2 of them if you want with a different driver solution and run it all day long. A dimmed down LDD with low current powered by a small 12v power supply for instance but you can only used it dimmed down to 90mA. Not very comfortable.. Two li-ion batteries (7,4v nom.)and an according resistor to limit voltage to 5,8 - 6v max. should also work. Rechargeable UVB light, lol! But would work. To calculate the needed resistor you can use one of several apps in the appstores of you use an online tool. Many ways lead to rome..
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Randomblame wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:55 am
unkle_psycho wrote:
Marine2143 wrote:
More Hawaiian research on UV from sea level to the mountain top.https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... i'i_Island

The dude says one 10mw diode is good at any working distance, I feel its such a vague expression, can't believe he would use it.

Then he specifies that the min light level they could measure gene activation was 0.1umol/m2. All the diodes and other things I see specify output in mW, not umol, so again I wonder if its such a simple calculation that he expects his listeners to do it on the fly.

Finally they have a chart on power levels they worked with, and express it as 0.05-0.74W/m2. I'm wondering if those watts are the radiant watt output, or electrical watts or what... At one point of the lecture he does say covering UV needs with one watt, ensures efficiency, so I guess he is talking about it like we do when we say 480w/ 4x4
Yeah, I've uploaded that part of the pdf above. In the very 1. row they say "power density(W/m²)x time = dosage in J/m²" so they talk about radiated watts not total watts used.
You could get away using only 1w at the wall. If we need 4w for 2-3h you could use 1w for 8-12h to get the same dose. Still the same 8-12w per day but only 0,0135w radiated UVB instead 0,54w. But you can't use 1,5 diodes and for 2 diodes the small e3ay driver has too much current. You could use 2 of them if you want with a different driver solution and run it all day long. A dimmed down LDD with low current powered by a small 12v power supply for instance but you can only used it dimmed down to 90mA. Not very comfortable.. Two li-ion batteries (7,4v nom.)and an according resistor to limit voltage to 5,8 - 6v max. should also work. Rechargeable UVB light, lol! But would work. To calculate the needed resistor you can use one of several apps in the appstores of you use an online tool. Many ways lead to rome..
We’ll all be meeting for chemo treatments and trading 99.999% thc cuttings....
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Randomblame wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:26 am
unkle_psycho wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:41 am
The 0.1mw recommended in their research should be 5x the typical at sea level, and 1.25x whats concidered typical for mountains. If I was mountain climbing I would be more worried about falling, then UV.

This will likely cost me more to test then getting a couple of reptile bulbs, but I saw so many mentions of plant damage when reading about them, and reportedly so little damage with this method, that I'm not expecting trouble... more worried about no effect at all.

If I don't see the responses I'm looking for I might use these to do some tests on killing pests, or create a moldy environment side by side in 2x2's to test other potential. Leaving these on for a few days between cycles could make sense too.

If nothing works I might make something like the UV gear that they use for disinfecting surgical equipment, blasting all the power in a tiny enclosed area.
Lol, tell that Reinhold Messner who is a german himalaya climber. Besides on losing a few of his toes he got skin cancer on both of his ears cuz he has burned them so badly. And snow makes the UVB even more harmful cuz he reflects it directly into your eyes! Above a certain level you need rather to wear something like an integral helmet to protect you properly.. A beany is no longer enough..

If we use 6 diodes and 0,05W of radiated UVB/285nm per m2 we need 2-3h according to the Seti tests. That leaves enough room for testing lower and higher amounts of UVB to find out from which point it gets dangerous and how much can be used without getting damage.
With such an 5x 1w driver that would be ~4w at the wall. Or 8-12w per day. Compared to two 3ft reptile bulbs(78w) that's a huge difference and those bulbs have to run 3-6h per day, that's 250-500w/day. So if it really works that way and I think it should we can save a lot of energy.
You could use even more diodes and watts to further reduce the daily treatments but these diodes are expensive and the more you use the longer it takes until you get your money back from energy savings. Makes no sense! With less UVB/s you also have more control about how much they get.
Oh wow! Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll try to get through this with all my limbs intact :D

With the diodes and driver I got, I was expecting 7v x 350mA= 2.45w at the wall. If they produce a combined 12mw output, what kind of running hours should I target towards the end of flowering?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Randomblame wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:55 am
unkle_psycho wrote:
Marine2143 wrote:

Thanks so much! You really are a life saver. I won't really have a chance to get into the numbers until tonight, need to go to scout blueberry spots with the boys.