noob to the LED game, looking to build multiple 4x4's

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
rubegoldberg
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:33 am
C channel will work great, the copper you keep your LEDs the more efficient they are and the longer they will last for. ELGs are pretty cheap, the XLGs are even cheaper but they only got to 24V or to a constant current system and you don't want that for your build.
The HLG drivers are better all round and more robust as they are an old and proven model.
The good thing about a strip build is you can always add on extra to upgrade things easily, get your first build done and see what you think, later this year things are going to change rapidly as efficiency is about to jump a bit more so you may choose a different strip build next.

fair enough! fedex should be bringing all the parts tomorrow, will post pics of the completed unit.

Thanks again for all your help, this is one of the best forums I've found for newbie questions, definitely a bit of a learning curve, but hands on should help.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

If you have any questions just ask, pleanty of people here that are happy to help

Cheers
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

rubegoldberg wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:42 am
unkle_psycho wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:06 am

What electricity do you have in your location? ELG series is great if you use 220v. XLG series is cheap if you can get one of the models to pair well with your setup.

The slimline is the first of the gen3's to hit digikey, and they have progressive pricing. Other models should be in soon, so if you buy all your strips at once you might get the next gen for rather similar prices.
Also if your planning on doing many fixtures at once,

each room has about 30 amps of 220, Will look into the ELG series.

would 2 x ELG-240-24A work out to about the same as 1 x HLG-480H-42A ?

Also thanks for a heads up on the slimline, with the price break, they're really not much more per strip, 2-3 dollars which is pretty nominal, all things considering.

The ELG line has about equal efficiency, but a 3y warranty vs 5 in the HLG line. Might also have 1-2% less efficiency, but that depends on the model.

42v:
https://www.digikey.fi/product-detail/e ... ND/7703023

You will probably get a bigger bulk discount next time round if you get the short strips, since there will be more pieces.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Newtoled
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello new to this looking for some led gurus advice on spectrum vs efficiency
rubegoldberg
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

wooo, just got the supplies, havent been this excited about new stuff in the grow room for about 10 years!
One quick question, I bought 14 strips, instead of 12 which the schematic called for... Should I use all 14, or just use 12 and save the other 2 strips for the next light?

decided on this stuff for the frame. its an aluminum extrusion about 1 inch wide, and they sell for 1 dollar cad per foot, so the price is right.

0 to 220
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Use all of them!
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I would run them all, if you space them closer together on the outside it will help even out distribution. You could also use the extra 2 pcs as side lights
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Newtoled wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:45 pm
There are alot of variables here, full spectrums seem to work best.
I have found that different strains favour different spectrums more, some prefer a heavier red and others prefer a heavier amber.
Efficiency is heavily dependent on the spread of the light and why so many are moving from COBs to strips.
Spectrum can provide a higher yield or higher quality, difficult to balance them both.
Sunlight is the best spectrum.
There is many other variables, no one really knows the answers to all.
Newtoled
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:38 pm
Newtoled wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:45 pm
There are alot of variables here, full spectrums seem to work best.
I have found that different strains favour different spectrums more, some prefer a heavier red and others prefer a heavier amber.
Efficiency is heavily dependent on the spread of the light and why so many are moving from COBs to strips.
Spectrum can provide a higher yield or higher quality, difficult to balance them both.
Sunlight is the best spectrum.
There is many other variables, no one really knows the answers to all.

Hey mate thanks for the reply I appreciate it. I’m after advice I’m looking getting the
SSK-550-R-Optisolis Kit or SSK-550-R-VH Kit In 3500k with 660nm from cutter I’m far from a expert would this be a good investment? I have around $1400 budget For a 4x4 area
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You have a good budget for a 4X4, I am really not sure what the best option is. To my knowledge Cutter do not have the XPG 3 660nm in stock yet but it should be soon, I will be testing the boards for efficacy once they do.
Because of your budget you will be able to run extra boards to help with the spread so it's possible that the optisolis version maybe a better option.

I would suggest to wait until I have tested them so a simulation using IES files can be set up to see how things will perform in RL.