Deep red and far red diodes

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

If you have 3W diodes in series at 700 mA, you could run x(=24/(3 * 0.7)) on a >=27V power supply and an LDD-700.
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...
PurpleGunRack
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

bvolt wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:04 am
If you have 3W diodes in series at 700 mA, you could run x(=24/(3 * 0.7)) on a >=27V power supply and an LDD-700.
Sorry, I don't speak Greek :lol:

Isn't that a DC input driver? What's the selling point of these contra the small AC input drivers?
LivingLight
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

bvolt wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:04 pm
During flowering, you'd leave the far-red (730) on for an additional 5-60 mins
  • this doesn't require a ton of photons, so it really depends on the source
  • the Emerson Effect - I've read, requires about 10% of your total light output to be in the 660-730 range
At a certain point, dark is more efficient than far-red, beware to not leave the far-red on for too long at night. The idea is only to saturate phytochromes Pfr/Pr at the lowest rate before switching to dark. If you let your led on for too long, it maintains the total phytochrome amount and the relative rate higher than it would be in the dark. That's why i'm advising 15min.
bvolt wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:11 am
Sorry, what that should have said was for white light LED users, we should look to supplement an additional 10% of red.

And again, I’ve read 20% of that should be 730 to 80% 660.

The Rapid kit has a total of 20 LEDs, 12 660s and 8 730s.

So, it’s a crapshoot.
Where did you read that? Did you read what i've said about the red in my former posts about emerson? Also, i've learned that plants are optimizing themselves (it takes some days) relatively to emerson effect, if the spectrum is wide enough .

"In the longer
term, photosynthetic organisms can adapt to spectral changes
by altering the relative size of the two photosystems, thus, at
least partly restoring the excitation balance between them
(Chow et al., 1990; Melis et al., 1996; Fujita, 1997). In leaves,
acclimation to the spectral environment resulted in an increase
in the quantum yield for CO 2 fixation and linear electron trans-
port (Walters and Horton, 1995) and an altered PSI:PSII ratio
(Chow et al., 1990).
"

Photosynthetic Quantum Yield Dynamics: From Photosystems to Leaves
Sander W. Hogewoning
PurpleGunRack wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:27 am
bvolt wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:04 am
Sorry, I don't speak Greek :lol:

Isn't that a DC input driver? What's the selling point of these contra the small AC input drivers?
I guess DC it is usefull in order to control with an arduino or some kind of auto setup
Last edited by LivingLight on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vividled
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hi I'm having some 288 lm301b boards made up and I was wondering of anyone had any scientific input as to which would preform better 3000k plus 660nm far red or 3500k plus 660nm far red?

All information and data would be very much appreciated as I hope to make the order by tomorrow.

Kind Regards
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I have not seen any scientific data, but growmou5 claimed that studies at fluence demonstrated that you had to add a little extra blue to get the most out of red boost. What K are the growmou5 pucks with red?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:08 pm
I have not seen any scientific data, but growmou5 claimed that studies at fluence demonstrated that you had to add a little extra blue to get the most out of red boost. What K are the growmou5 pucks with red?
I think first gen were 3000k... gen 2 are now a mix of 3000/4000k with the 660nm added ( or 450nm if ya get the "blue" pucks ) turns out to being 3060k at 86cri. 😁
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

:lol:
ViridisHC
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I was wondering about supplementing strip lights with "PAR38" type style LED bulbs for added red and blue spectrum to contribute to the Emerson Effect?

Reason being I attempted building a light made out of this style of bulb before I discovered the great ideas from the great minds residing here at LEDGardener :D

The models I bought:

I'm thinking of adding these bulbs to a light made out of 4' EB Gen 2 3500K strips. I have about 20ish (won't be using all of them) of these bulbs so figured I might as well try to find a use for them. They all have 460nm, 630nm, and 660nm spectrum so wondering if they would work for supplementing red (and possibly extra blue as was referenced in this thread) for the Emerson Effect?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Recently I have been thinking about pretty much the same thing. Looking at the options for specific frequencies are pretty limited, so I had also been thinking about finding 660nm and 730nm bulbs like that to test responses.

I think nobody seems able to predict exactly what they expect to get through the emerson effect or light recipes. Testing and discussion is needed and welcome.
ViridisHC
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Fair enough. I will post my results when I have them.

Is there any reason why people tend to solely focus on adding red and far red as opposed to adding both reds and blue? Or is it just what is popular right now?