New member new build

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
sleeper
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

okay thanks for the information, so 300v is dangerous? i should not get the c1050?
do I need to use a multi meter to check the voltage with the 240H-b setup?
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Multimeter are great tools for making sure everything is running correctly. 200+v gets pretty dangerous. But high amps is also dangerous. Just make sure everything is secure and the build is grounded.

300v is what most of the molex connectors(the push in connectors on the strips) are rated for. When dealing with electricity you only want to go to about 75% of anything's max rating... Better safe than sorry. 75% of 300 is 225.
NothinYet is my nickname
sleeper
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Very clear i will not go over 225v.
I think ill get the 240h-24 so i have more options if i want to upgrade.
A question about series parallel wiring and thermal runaway you mentioned. From what ive read you cant get thermal runaway with constant current driver is this wrong?
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

There is minimal chance of thermal runaway from CC drivers if you wire in series with quality leds. Never say never. Something could always happen with any build, even professional ones. When you wire parallel with constant current it could cause thermal runaway. When you wire in series the voltage of each strip adds up and the current stays the same. When You wire in parallel the voltage is constant and it splits the current between each strip wired in.

Example. You have 2 strips with a 700mA max rating each. If you wire both strips in parallel to CC driver with an output of 1A to give each strip 500ma. If one strip goes out you are then maxing out the other strip at 700mA. If that causes a fault you could potentially pump 1a through 1 strip only rated for 700mA. Pumping 1A the one strip scenario is not likely, but remember. Electricity always follows the path of least resistance to ground. And if that is through a strip it will take it.
NothinYet is my nickname