new bridgelux model? VESTA® 90CRI, 130lm/W

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

And yes, your right, I forgot about the redshift with 90cri...
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

I was thinking 6 of the 2' strips and 4 drivers for a 2x2 space. Make a good veg/flower light.
NothinYet is my nickname
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Its great and very versitile, as you can just shut down some drivers and run a small area for veg. You also get a little wiggle room for spectrum, you can tone down the 5000k by about 35% and you would still have 250w, for flowering.

This guy 'livinglight' was saying 2700-3000k is best for flowering, so Im adding 3 strips and 2 drivers and I'll be in a position to verify things for myself.

I'd say that for veg 4 drivers 6 strips gives you all the versatility you could dream of, since 150w of 5000k would already veg great on its own. If you know you don't mind flowering around 3500k then its perfect.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Was just browsing digikey, and did a search on vesta. They have cob elements too, 95cri that go below 2000k. They seem to handle heat very well, but if i understood the chart, the colour temperature would change with power, so if you wanted a very low color temperature you would have to run them super soft?

https://www.digikey.fi/product-detail/e ... ND/7560385
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

2700K may be better than 3850K for flowering. but in the end it's still more about overall photon count i believe.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Exactly tazz. With only a small footprint. Would you notice that big of a difference? If you do you could always order an extra driver or 2 so if your results aren't what you would expect, add in some extra eb gen 2 3000k or so when they become available. Make your build even better.
NothinYet is my nickname
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I do think thats true, there is a benefit in spectrum, but the benefit of extra photons is even bigger. But I'm still traumatized by the flowering performance of this LG sulfur plasma, and Vesta put the traumatized psycho in charge of frequency.
LivingLight
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:27 am
I do think thats true, there is a benefit in spectrum, but the benefit of extra photons is even bigger. But I'm still traumatized by the flowering performance of this LG sulfur plasma, and Vesta put the traumatized psycho in charge of frequency.
Both are very important, i prefer to choose a decent spectrum even losing some photons, it's all about the balance between quality and quantity of light.
4 years ago i was definitely going for 3000k 80cri because the lower colour temp and higher CRI was really bad at photons output. But nowadays, they are very close from each other, so you can't really go wrong chosing a better spectrum
I've recently bought some vero18 gen7 2000k 65CRI claimed at 148lm/w, few years ago this colour was usually under 100lm/w

Of course it's not relevant to lose 10% output for a 93CRI rather than a 90CRI imo
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

LivingLight wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 10:57 am
i prefer to choose a decent spectrum even losing some photons
so would you, for example chose lm561C 90CRI over 80CRI?
but you would have a tiny bit less YPF/W right?
LivingLight
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

tazztone wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:28 am
so would you, for example chose lm561C 90CRI over 80CRI?
but you would have a tiny bit less YPF/W right?
I didn't check the datasheets but probably, even getting a lower YPF/w, if the loss isn't dramatic, the physiological aspects are stronger
Actually i'm running mostly 3000k 80CRI for years, i'm waiting the next generation from cree to change my principal leds to a 90CRI or more