New with a few questions after a couple of buys

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Xyberg
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello I have bought two kits which are 2xQB288v2 and a Slate 2 heatsink being driven by 240H-C2100A. These will be going into a 4x4 flowering tent. I would like to supplement these lights with some reds/uv (Do I need royal blues for this tent?) What should I do exactly for this? How would it best be configured within the tent?

Eventually (in like 8 months at the earliest) I will be getting two more kits of whatever the comparable tech is at the time, will that drastically change things?

This forum has been an amazing resource, so thank you to LEDG and the members for all the knowledge you guys have poured into me already!
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

What Kelvin are your boards now? I don't really see a need for the Blues from what I've seen. 3000k and up are really good for veg. There isn't much of a difference, unless you want to control and experiment with internal spacing, and slowing a plant during stretch
NothinYet is my nickname
Xyberg
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

They're all 3k since I plan on using them solely for flowering. I have a t5ho in a 2x4 veg chamber.

Thank you for confirming the non-need for blues in that tent like I thought.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Some people claim it produces more terpenes when adding blues like the last week of flower. There is no solid evidence though, so would it really be worth investing the time and money for a small percentage yield?

Same goes for the red. If you don't mind investing the time and the extra money,it might be worth the 2-5% gain people claim to get with reds, and flowering a week earlier.

Who really knows if this is the case though. More studies need to be done really. For me the extra money And time is not worth such a small increase.
NothinYet is my nickname
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Xyberg wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:24 pm
Hello I have bought two kits which are 2xQB288v2 and a Slate 2 heatsink being driven by 240H-C2100A. These will be going into a 4x4 flowering tent. I would like to supplement these lights with some reds/uv (Do I need royal blues for this tent?) What should I do exactly for this? How would it best be configured within the tent?

Eventually (in like 8 months at the earliest) I will be getting two more kits of whatever the comparable tech is at the time, will that drastically change things?

This forum has been an amazing resource, so thank you to LEDG and the members for all the knowledge you guys have poured into me already!
welcome to the forum first off. 😁 great choice second 😄

since ya got 3000k boards you should be fine.. I used 3500k 288 v1's for a year without adding anything... your 4x4 will love duo 240's kits ( I run 6 v1's on a 480 over a 4x4 in my 5x5 tent now)

down the road if you wanted to see what adding some color would do.. try the hlg 630/660/730 red combo strip... or even just some 730nm red to aid the plants with going to sleep faster.

I though I was going to add a bunch of red/blue nm lights to my diy light in the beginning.. instead I added two 2700k boards to my four 3500k boards, and I love it!!! I never get a 100% perfect run.. so I won't know if it's the added red/blue spectrum or me not screwing up that they like better! 😄 the spread of light by adding two more boards made more sense.

If you really want to learn more about adding different nm of light... talk to " livinglight " on here.. that guy is the spectrum master!!!! 😄

again welcome to the fun!!
cheers
JGG
Futuregrow
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

For what it's worth, depending on your growing style, medium, and available room... You should consider whether you need to control your plant structure and stretch when you flower. A supplementary channel or two of blue and red, permitting you to dim either, will help reduce your plant stretch in that critical first two weeks of flowering by adding more blue, before you ramp up the additional 660nm red for the remainder of the flowering period... Nice compact plant structure with tighter internode spacing 👌 then as has been said, add some discrete 730nm far red on another channel and timer for phytochrome switching back to PR after lights out.

I realise I may be rehashing what has been said however the stretch under intense LED can be pretty crazy. Probably the most effective spend of your money, if plant morphology is fine, is additional lights to make sure you max out your ppfd in your grow space around 1000... Removing any light bottlenecks as you do so.

Discrete UV led diodes are still too expensive to justify, but those reptile tubes seem to be a common choice among people trying to boost terpene and trich production. You don't need a lot either.