ZEUS 308 XT x2 in parallel with ELG-240-42A-3Y

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Mr Ma
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi all,

This is a great resource, and I'm really glad to join the forum to discuss LED lighting for horticulture. I currently have on order 2x ZEUS 308 XT and a ELG-240-42A-3Y driver.

The ZEUS is using the latest Samsung LM301B LEDs, and the spec for the board are pretty impressive.

https://www.led-tech.de/en/ZEUS-308-XT- ... -KIT-3500k

However, it has been recommended that I wire the two boards up in parallel as the voltage in a series would be too high for the ELG-240-42A-3Y driver to handle. So then I'm wondering if I need to place any resisters before the LEDs to prevent thermal run-away out in case one of the board fails?

The driver can output a maximum of 5710mA at 45V, the LEDs can draw 3500mA at 39.8V. Should I put a resistor before the boards? If so, what resistance do I need?

Many thanks for your thoughts and advise.

Mr M.
dik666
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

hi. I'll wait for the more experiences to comment on a driver pick.
regarding the zeus boards. did you actualy find some useful tests or someone that actualy has one? I didn't manage to find online anyone owning and using them.
for us in EU that's the best IMO, IF the specs are true. but still it's my 2nd option (kingbrite COBs the 3rd).
My 1st option would be DIY Bridgelux EB Gen 2 strips.
Kiwi_Jezza
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Using the potentiometers on that A type driver you can limit max voltage therefore limiting the current the boards will pull.
bone
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I think you will be in constant current region, with a voltage of around 39.3 and effect of 112W each for a total of 224W at the board and around 242W at the wall given a driver efficacy of 92.5%. Pretty close to their max.
I got to these numbers by extrapolating the info from their webpage - better recalculate yourself before committing yourself to a build. If you do go ahead I would love to hear numbers :)
I've been considering this exact build.

Edit - of course this is for parallel
Capt. Saicin
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

dik666 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:12 am
did you actualy find some useful tests or someone that actualy has one? I didn't manage to find online anyone owning and using them.
The company hosts a german forum on thier site where some use these to grow Chilis apparently.