Possible to modify HLG-320H-24 (classic, non-dimmable version) to add dimming functionality?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
jhill532
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey guys,

I accidentally bought a HLG-320H-24 (classic, non-dimmable version) instead of a HLG-320H-24B. Just wondering if it's possible to open the unit up and wire in a pot somewhere to add dimming functionality or if I should just cut my losses and reorder the correct model (cant return for a refund or exchange it unfortunately). I'll be mounting it remotely so losing the IP67 rating isnt really a concern.

Cheers
jhill532
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Just noticed the price difference... disregard my original question, there's obviously a bit more to it.

So I built my light using the following guide on this site: Samsung F-Series LT-F562B 2′ LED Strip Build – 3’x3′

What are the disadvantages of using the non dimmable driver? Is it just a power saving thing or will I be driving the LEDs too hard and potentially shortening their life? If the latter could I just some load in parallel with my light circuit to reduce the current running through the strips?
Capt. Saicin
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

So, you got the HLG-320H-24 A Version instead of B?
You can dim the A driver, too with it's internal cross-screw potis if you remove the black caps covering them. It's just not that convenient if you're hanging them somewhere inaccessable.
jhill532
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

No unfortunately I didnt get the A or B version , I got the HLG-320H-24 which is the base, non-dimmable model.

Same as this one:

https://www.power-supplies-australia.co ... LG-320H-24
jhill532
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

After rethinking this I'm pretty sure this is much simpler than I thought it was.

If I want to adjust the voltage level that the led strip circuit sees I'd just hook my pots left leg to the driver's output + wire, the middle leg to the led circuit + wire and the left leg as well as the led circuit - wire to the driver's output - wire (as per below pic). Rotating the pot changes the voltage level relative to ground of the middle pin which now directly changes the voltage seen by the led circuit

If I wanted to adjust the amount of current that is sent through the led circuit I'd hook my pot up so it acts as a variable resistor in parallel with the led circuit by attaching the left leg and the led circuit + wire to the driver's output + wire and the middle leg and the led circuit - wire to the driver's output - wire. Now rotating the pot changes the resistance in the new parallel leg of my circuit which changes the current in the led circuit.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

If you choose to go that route, make sure the pot is rated for the voltage and amps.
NothinYet is my nickname
jhill532
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Copy that. Thanks mate.

Is that essentially how the dimmable versions of the driver achieve dimming? Are they just dissipating some of their output energy in a resistor or do the drivers actually consume less power when dimmed?
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

No idea exactly. I would say they are dissipating some. If you look at the datasheet on the drivers it usually gives an Effeciency curve to how hard the driver is ran.
NothinYet is my nickname
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

The drivers actually consume less power when dimmed. I can’t think of an easy way to dim a non-dimmable driver, unfortunately.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!