Connectors. How do they work?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Darkomatized
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I feel like complete retard which I probably am, but how the f do I get my wires to stick to my Bridgelux EB gen2 strips? :lol: I have sticking and picking and been dicking around with them but they just dont seem to cooperate.
Potatoes!
xenophon
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

You may be using stranded core wire, which is too mushy to poke in properly. Try a solid core wire (18 gauge at worst). Or, if you really want to be cool, rip the connectors right off and solder that stranded wire in its place.
Darkomatized
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ye I'm using stranded. And honestly got no money to buy 100m roll of solid core now : /. Is there any way?
Potatoes!
xenophon
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I used a length of 20gauge thermometer wire (.39 cents a foot at my local hardware store) with red and white wires wrapped in that brown stuff to wire up a Bridgelux strip - they poked in great. Just keep max amperage in mind. I believe 20gauge maxes at 1.5A.
Professor Xavier
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Darkomatized wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:36 am
Ye I'm using stranded. And honestly got no money to buy 100m roll of solid core now : /. Is there any way?
My local Rona/Home Depot sold me wire by the meter. I went with LEDG's advice when making his quantum board of 18AWG except where WAGO'd, and then to use 14AWG. That's for 4 HLG 288 boards.
I think I spent a total of $3?
I also found my local Home Depot sells their own style of WAGO connectors for less than Amazon.ca does.
If you're in Americaland, I'd hope you'd use LEDG's Amazon/HeatsinkUSA links so he can make a few pennies on the dollar, and keep doing things for this site. We haven't had a post from him in months, and somehow I think if he had more financial reasons to contribute, he could prioritize it more to everyone here's benefit.
Back from my tangent, there's always the Solder option...
Darkomatized
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks to everyone for replies! I managed to do it by cutting the copper part as short as possible for sticking it without smush, and using pliers to give em good push.
Potatoes!
turpman
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

As stated there are spots at the end of the boards to solder to. Les resistance in a soldered connection.
xenophon
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I agree that if you must use stranded wire, you should rip the connectors off and solder. Most of these connectors suck anyway; I've already popped two of them off an Atreum board with 14gauge solid core. It's worth the effort to learn to solder if you don't know how.