Newbee. First grow! Seeking for some help.

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
slayking0113
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Good morning, mates!
I am new here, and seeking for some help / advise!

I got some seeds from my friend this week, it is an autoflower, still not sure what's actual strain it is, lol. Now it will be my first grow! Quite excited and a little confused.
Currently I got a 4x4 feet tent, several 5 gallon fabric pots, seeds, several bottles of the nutrients from my friend. I will post a photo of what exactly i got over here.

For the lighting, I am looking for a LED grow light which can suit a 4x4 area well. Currently quite confused about which LED grow light to choose.
I will post some lights I have checked online before over here, and it will be great if you can recommend me some good lights. My budget is around 600usd for the light.

Btw, I have already get some small accessories like the hanger, clipped fan, timer, ph meter, temp & humidity meter.

I don't have an exhaust fan with a carbon filter, but that's not a big problem. I will by one online and that will be arranged very soon.

Well, that's all my situation, I hope everything can be settle down by this weekend. And it will be a great honor for me to share my dairy over here with you guys!
slayking0113
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Here I post the nutrients i got, I swear to god this is not an advertise.
Just to let you know what I got. And I am still looking for the lights for my tent.

And to be honest, i have never touch such things like this and it was given for free. So I will be appreciate if someone can tell me when to use those things.
K1L{%%AKL~_N]VST5UN8$MF.png
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Aloha & you have an expensive product line from The Netherlands. It may help to read the labels. http://www.house-garden.us
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Hi! Welcome to the forum.

So normally for your space we would recommend around 480w, which is 30w per square foot. The light dose is really designed for regular plants with 12h lights on, so if you know you will only run auto's, you could get similar results with less light and longer hours.
600$ might be a little overkill, but at least you will be able to get a great build. The samsung H-influx has the most popular (efficient) diodes and good thermal characteristics in the PCB. If working with strips they need to be attached to aluminum to cool them, materials that make sense vary by location. They also vary by how hot the build runs.
You might prefer a single 4x4 fixture, or two 2x4 fixtures.... you might prefer drivers on board or outside the tent, depending if you want to add heat or reduce it...

For the nutrients, the roots accelerator use would be for the periods that roots are growing most. Pretty much from get go to about a week into flower.
The amino use advise seems to change by product. both the products I have used advised a few drops per 10l of water. One advised with every watering, the other only for stress relief. It's worth it googling the specific brand from their website or from forums.
The two last products are bloom boosters, they are designed for specific periods during flowering, so you still have a moment to figure them out.

In general all the manufacturers love to sell a complex set of products and on their website there will be an image with the different periods that every given product is recommended for. 'nutrient schedule', 'nutrient guide' etc. You will find them easily.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

There is a lot out there in the way of lighting, yet nobody is offering a high quality product for a low price.

I have experience with several commercial LED products, and have also done a bit of DIY.

I was going to recommend to you the

HLG 260w v2 QB

2 of these would fit your budget but I see they are not available in the US anymore :|

HLG
Rapidled
Pacific light concepts
Timber grow

These are good places to start. If you are handy and have some free time, you can save a few dollars building your own, and there are varying degrees of 'DIY'.
Run 'em soft
slayking0113
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Marine2143 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:25 pm
Aloha & you have an expensive product line from The Netherlands. It may help to read the labels. http://www.house-garden.us
Wow! Thanks for the link. I will take some time to read about the instructions.
slayking0113
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:06 pm
Hi! Welcome to the forum.

So normally for your space we would recommend around 480w, which is 30w per square foot. The light dose is really designed for regular plants with 12h lights on, so if you know you will only run auto's, you could get similar results with less light and longer hours.
600$ might be a little overkill, but at least you will be able to get a great build. The samsung H-influx has the most popular (efficient) diodes and good thermal characteristics in the PCB. If working with strips they need to be attached to aluminum to cool them, materials that make sense vary by location. They also vary by how hot the build runs.
You might prefer a single 4x4 fixture, or two 2x4 fixtures.... you might prefer drivers on board or outside the tent, depending if you want to add heat or reduce it...

For the nutrients, the roots accelerator use would be for the periods that roots are growing most. Pretty much from get go to about a week into flower.
The amino use advise seems to change by product. both the products I have used advised a few drops per 10l of water. One advised with every watering, the other only for stress relief. It's worth it googling the specific brand from their website or from forums.
The two last products are bloom boosters, they are designed for specific periods during flowering, so you still have a moment to figure them out.

In general all the manufacturers love to sell a complex set of products and on their website there will be an image with the different periods that every given product is recommended for. 'nutrient schedule', 'nutrient guide' etc. You will find them easily.
Thanks mate!
I will go check the light first.
And thanks for your suggestions for the nutrients. I am a kinda lazy guy, lol. Compare with reading the instructions, I would prefer asking the real users. :D
I really need to speed up for my lighting set cause it is Thursday already.
slayking0113
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

ATPinMotion wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:08 pm
There is a lot out there in the way of lighting, yet nobody is offering a high quality product for a low price.

I have experience with several commercial LED products, and have also done a bit of DIY.

I was going to recommend to you the

HLG 260w v2 QB

2 of these would fit your budget but I see they are not available in the US anymore :|

HLG
Rapidled
Pacific light concepts
Timber grow

These are good places to start. If you are handy and have some free time, you can save a few dollars building your own, and there are varying degrees of 'DIY'.
Thanks for the recommendation! I will go have a check! Never tried a DIY light before. Is it a tendency that DIY light popular for indoor grow now? I see a lot of lights in the market still the old school design, maybe chips are better.
Anyway, I will have a look at this DIY light, not sure it can suit me well, cause I don't think i got a talent for DIY, bad life style for years almost killed my abilities.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I am by principle against these commercial nutrients, but did dable with them a few times in my life. I just passed through a period of testing different alternatives and am moving back to basics. Just got a 25kg sack of chicken shit/kelp with a profile of 2-1-4. I hardly see any benefit using liquid ferts, I see almost similar growth and more stability in an organic pre-fertilized mix, or supersoil.
There is no right way though, you are likely to spend some time exploring your chosen route.

In terms of components there are quite a lot of choices. In strips Samsung and bridgelux have pretty equal cost/ efficiency, but they are different in max power and the thermal aspects that power brings, so they often get used in different ways.

Then there are different specialty products, often desirable, but often at a value added price. So for instance to get a better spectrum some 80cri strips add 660nm reds. People add controllers for sunrises and sunsets etc
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Aloha & Here in Hawai'i we find it is easier to make our own amino acids. Fish and brown sugar are local products.