Indoor grow, had power cut so lights were off for 27 hours

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
SmokeRICH
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I cycle my lights on at 6 am- 12 midnight and then off from midnight -6 am. Recently my power went off at 9 am until 12 noon the next day meaning that my plants were in the dark for 27 straight hours. How will this affect my plants :oops: :oops:
Steveb123321
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Not much, In my experience, maybe a slight delay. I'v had this happen a few times over the years.

IMO it's best to maintain your scheduled on off times after the outage. In other words if your timer is mechanical and shifted, resync it.

Outdoors there is sometimes very dark stormy days.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Many people create an artificial 24h darkness at the beginning of flower to speed up the process... I guess your already flowering if your on 12/12...

I think different strains have different types of pressures towards hermafrodism, and if you know the strain you might have an idea when they are at greatest risk. I'd certainly be watching them for a moment, I had a similar event and within the next week aver a third of my plants hermed a little. The one's that did had a reputation for that.

As Steve said, try to maintain your old cycle to minimize damage.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Use of the word 'photoperiod' can obscure the fact that it's actually the period of DARK, not the period of light that plants respond to.

Your plants should be fine.

It's much worse when the power goes off for 4 hours in the middle of 'lights on'.

If the lights come back on, a short 4hr 'night' will stress the plants much more than a long night.

For those who don't have a generator standing by, it's a good idea to unplug your lights if a power outage persists for more than 15min. This ensures they will not come back on with the electricity.

An easy backup alternative would be a comercial emergency light. They contain a battery and turn on whenever the power goes out. The plants don't need high PFD to stay awake.
Run 'em soft
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I lived in Beirut in the 90's, and thats my only experience with backup power. With a one truck battery system we just had enough time to shutdown our music studio, before the battery died. Maybe 2min of backup. I guess battery tech has advanced leaps and bounds.

But making a backup system with a battery pack or something sounds like a cool project.
Steveb123321
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:07 pm
I think different strains have different types of pressures towards hermafrodism, and if you know the strain you might have an idea when they are at greatest risk. I'd certainly be watching them for a moment, I had a similar event and within the next week aver a third of my plants hermed a little. The one's that did had a reputation for that.

For sure different strains do react differently to light cycle stress.
I had my lights fail to shutoff due to a relay sticking. Happend at least twice each time daytime was extended by about 2-3 hrs.

Pyramid seeds tutankhamun no effect at all.
Crop king white widow is about 1.5 weeks behind schedule but looks fine.

Smoke- How many weeks, what strain and pics :?:
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Steveb123321 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:16 am
unkle_psycho wrote:

For sure different strains do react differently to light cycle stress.
I had my lights fail to shutoff due to a relay sticking. Happend at least twice each time daytime was extended by about 2-3 hrs.

Pyramid seeds tutankhamun no effect at all.
Crop king white widow is about 1.5 weeks behind schedule but looks fine.

Smoke- How many weeks, what strain and pics :?:
I have an Ice from female seeds that is as stable as a mama can be. While I never bothered growing a seed from hermafrodite parents, I actually took pollen from a herming jack herer to pollinate a branch tip of hers once. Could not get the seeds to herm either.
SmokeRICH
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Steveb123321 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:56 am
Not much, In my experience, maybe a slight delay. I'v had this happen a few times over the years.

IMO it's best to maintain your scheduled on off times after the outage. In other words if your timer is mechanical and shifted, resync it.

Outdoors there is sometimes very dark stormy days.
What you mean is that I can ignore this 27 hours and continue to turn on and off the lights according to my previous rules, right?
SmokeRICH
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Many people create an artificial 24h darkness at the beginning of flower to speed up the process... I guess your already flowering if your on 12/12...

Thank you very much for your help, I will do what you said.