Seoul's HE line available

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

So I've been following Seoul's section at digikey, for a couple of months. The HE-line is finally available, although my enthusiasm is tempered by the announcement of the 3rd gen EB's.

Seouls pricing is definitely pushing towards the 4 foot strips, 3000k is only available in the most expensive strip format...
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I've been looking at the Industrial versions.. seems easier to match for series with a 700ma test current over 200ma.. also I wouldn't need as many strips like the HE's for the space.. 25+ watts per strip at test versus 7w( 2' ers ) ... and only losing 10 or so lum/w..

but yeah these should be fun to play with...
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:33 am
I've been looking at the Industrial versions.. seems easier to match for series with a 700ma test current over 200ma.. also I wouldn't need as many strips like the HE's for the space.. 25+ watts per strip at test versus 7w( 2' ers ) ... and only losing 10 or so lum/w..

Just realized these have really progressive pricing, which varies for each model. Seems for most the mayor price break is around 32pcs. I will definitely look at the other lines for the more convenient current and perhaps easier access to volume discounts...
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:33 am

Well, had a quick look at the value, se, and industrial lines. The industrial line looks awesome, 80w in a 20mm wide format. I guess they use the same diodes as the HE line?
Too many models. Confused, multiple power levels within series too.

Really like the industrial line, but its going to be really hard to get large numbers of strips to hit those price points... Need to see if I can find a friend who is planning on a new light...
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Seoul semi conductor is known to promote figures that are a bit over the top. I am happy to test a board to show everyone how they actually perform at different currents if someone is serious about these strips and wants to send me one to test.
The other good thing about my test method is it comes with an IES file so you can create a simulation of your grow room to check how many strips you will need and at what spacing on your computer before you spend a heap of money.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Realized digikey had a guide for the entire product family... with it its pretty easy to get an overview of the products. Then the only real complexity is the progressive pricing.

As I looked at the guide and my confusion reduced a little, I find it interesting how different products they managed to generate. Even in the industrial line the 560mm strip is not half the power of the 1120mm. Seems like there is quite a selection depending on if your looking for intensity or spread.

I'm still a little confused on what real advantages there is in having separate models, rather then just data on driving hard or soft? What is the real difference in the 195lm/w 40w 4 foot HE-line strip and the 182lm/w 80w 4 foot industrial strip? They use the same diodes, but the industrial strip is more expensive, probably having more diodes???

Probably diode count is the most relevant data point, but they don't give it, so its hard to calculate diodes per $ which would help make sense of the progressive pricing

EDIT: in the product code you have SMJD, the next two numbers are voltage, then the third and fourth number are power, and the fifth to seventh number are the diode count.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Seoul Semiconductor diode count, and diodes per Euro, with price break points. Please note that pricebreak points vary between 16/18pcs and 32/36pcs, but are marked 16 and 32 in the chart.

HE-Line....................Diodes........ diode/e.........diode/e (16pcs) diode/e (32pcs)

560mm....................036....................5.79................6.39(101e)......................8.09(160e)
560mm....................060....................6.80................7.50(144e).....................9.47(228e)
1120mm......................120.....................8.16.................8.50(226e)..................10.93(351e)

SE-Line

560mm......................024...................4.14...................4.94(87e)......................5.88(146e)
560mm......................048...................6.08..................6.72(129e).....................8.50(204e)
560mm.......................072...................6.51....................7.18(181e)......................9.07(286e)

Industrial line

560mm........................144....................8.89....................9.29(279e)..................11.94(434e)
1120mm.........................182.....................9.12...................10.32(282e)..................11.82(493e)
Last edited by unkle_psycho on Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Are they all on FR4 or are some aluminum based?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:24 am
Are they all on FR4 or are some aluminum based?
I'm wondering about the same thing... having models ranging from 24-144 diodes per 2Foot it would make sense to use aluminum in the higher power models, probably no big deal in the max12w models....
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

With boards like this a manufacturer is worried about cost. The market for boards like this is highly competitive and cost is unfortunately first priority.
I do not trust SSC because of thier history of not living upto claimed performance. But I am more than happy to take a look at them and test for real outputs as it's the only way to know for sure how the performance will work. An aluminum base actually will not effect my test results initially, what an aluminum base means is longevity and if I am testing for longevity it requires several tests over periods of time.