Samsung horticular linears

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

So I got through to Samsung, and I'm amazed at how quick they answered. It seems I will be getting a quote for receiving these directly from samsung, since nobody has them in stock.

I took the liberty to say that these would receive some coverage in DIY forums, as there is a lot of interest. They asked more about this, so it seems this might have tickled their interest.

It seems their MOQ is 120pcs. I have a feeling they might allow a smaller order if they like my proposal on how builds or grows would be covered. Is anyone interested in getting their hands on these, and documenting a build or a grow?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Oh, and do people have opinions on what to expect from such a spectrum as a flowering light?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I personally do not see anything amazing about it. I look at Samsung as riding on the back of the work HLG have done over the past 5 years and I have little respect for them as a result. That's just my opinion, I just see it as rude. Samsung does not have the best red LEDs although they do have great performance out of the mid powers, others are at the same level now too but they don't push it. If they paid HLG for every strip sold then I would feel differently but they don't and won't so I will never deal with Samsung because of this.

HLG did the work for Samsung to take the glory and more importantly the cash, that's just fucked up to me.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Rocket Soul
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 am
So I got through to Samsung, and I'm amazed at how quick they answered. It seems I will be getting a quote for receiving these directly from samsung, since nobody has them in stock.

I took the liberty to say that these would receive some coverage in DIY forums, as there is a lot of interest. They asked more about this, so it seems this might have tickled their interest.

It seems their MOQ is 120pcs. I have a feeling they might allow a smaller order if they like my proposal on how builds or grows would be covered. Is anyone interested in getting their hands on these, and documenting a build or a grow?
Price per strip on 120 units?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

What exactly did HLG do? I understand they could have made great contributions even if they are a little short on patents, but what have they really created? I really don't know the history of white diodes on strips well enough to understand what came from where and in which order. Should we criticize HLG for 'copying' cutter and getting into exotic supplements?

What I do know is that Samsung invested billions in led lighting, much of that in R&D, and I can see they were making strips similar to now even before HLG existed.

I'm sure sammy has been a decent partner to HLG or they would not have taken the chance to go all in with sammies diodes.

There is a technical expression in strategic management, called forward integration. This basicly means a company eliminating middle men between them and consumer. It's described as one of the 5 main corporate strategies in introduction to strategic management. I used to be head of scandinavian operations at an IT market research company, we would often be hired to do the nesessary research required for these kinds of moves... I really don't see any such intention in sammies part, they have simply introduced one new product line in a sector with high demand.

I definitly agree about the efficiency. Its really weired, seems they are promising 3.0umol with the lm301b's but only 2.7umol for these, despite the added red. Do these have a waterproof silicone treatment or is it the sulfurless design that is loosing efficiency here?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Rocket Soul wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:19 pm
unkle_psycho wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 am

Price per strip on 120 units?
I'm waiting to hear from sales, they answered positively, and asked more info on what I was planning on forums. My only estimate on price can come from looking at the H-influx series... the most expensive strips fall from 30e to 22e at these purchasing levels in digikey. I'm hoping they would be a little cheaper if coming directly from samsung, but no experience there.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Teknik, I'm honestly wondering about what your saying about HLG. I do assume you know way more then me about the market and players involved, so I'm genuinely interested.

I did a few searches to see if I could find any documents on samsungs strategies for the LED market. I'll do a bit more searching, but after looking through a few pages of this, I do already feel like I understand a little more how Samsung sees the market... they expect a lot of small companies to fail, and markets to consolidate around a few conglomerates with impressive patent portfolios.

Does HLG even have a R&D department? With Samsung having a grim outlook on what they call an 'oversupplied' market, what interest would they have in changing their behavior in any way for HLG who don't even mention ROI in their sales material? Samsung repeatedly emphasizes that getting prices down is a key element of their market strategy for leds.

Anyway theres some interesting stuff in this:
https://www.samsung.com/led/insights/in ... cordNum=12
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

HLG partnered with Samsung to make quantum boards long before Samsung had any horticultural specific products
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Aloha my friend. Do you have an opinion on the new Fortimo Gen 4? We are waiting on prices too.http://www.docs.lighting.philips.com/en ... R_HV4F.pdf
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Marine2143 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:23 pm
Aloha my friend. Do you have an opinion on the new Fortimo Gen 4? We are waiting on prices too.http://www.docs.lighting.philips.com/en ... R_HV4F.pdf
I dont see any impressive about 160 lumens per watt for cri90. 180 lumens per watt is impressive but not 160 lumens per watt.
A 12% increase in efficiency is easy to do but they don't want to pay for the better leds so they settled on a price point.
12% may not seem all that much but if you go off a 5 year lifespan of electricity costs then it's worth it to pay the extra upfront as you get your money back and more.
All these boards are made to a price point and many many major companies are making boards like this.