Repurposing Laptop/Electronics power supplies

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

I’m interested to see your results. I’d be concerned with the quality of the boost converters. Even though the power supply might be rock solid, I’d want a very dependable converter to keep my mind at ease while I run it for half the day or longer.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
electrok-d
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have located a serious flaw in my theory. First, the two converters listed in this thread (including the one that I linked) are step down convertors. They won't work for using power supplies under the forward voltage of the LED. I was initially confused by the variable input voltage and output current ranges advertised. They only apply to decreasing the values though.

I also found horror story reviews on voltage regulating boost converters, namely DROK brand. One described runaway voltage that destroyed a string of LED's valued at over $270. Apparently, even the most expensive boost converters out there aren't reliable enough.

I've got a new plan! After some research, I found a variable voltage (0-48v DC) Meanwell power supply for about $76. It is 600 watts/12.6 a. Meanwell seems to be highly trusted for the quality of their electronics, so it seems legit to use it opposed to a ton of other manufacturers out there. Here is a link to it:

https://www.amazon.com/MEAN-WELL-SE-600 ... wer+supply

The DROK step down converter seems reliable, based on reviews and its inherent voltage and current protections. You can find the link to the converter in an earlier post in this thread. Because it is a step down convertor, the Meanwell supply would need to be set at 39.6 volts in order for it to produce 36 volts. I suppose it is possible that the DROK device could still fail entirely and send 39.6 volts to the LED's. Hopefully the device would just break and not send any power at all.

I found a really good 20 minute video of a guy testing it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5gjrq_9t_s.

The Meanwell HLG-600H-36B driver is $207 on Alibaba. This particular setup is $122. Does anyone have any thoughts on this before I pull the trigger? Also, any thoughts on a cheap COB that would still be fair to use if the experiment works? I'm leaning toward $17, full spectrum - 100w Chanzon brand.
electrok-d
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I pulled the trigger.
DROK DC adjustable constant voltage power module
DROK DC adjustable constant voltage power module
Info sheet side 2
Info sheet side 2

I'll be using a MeanWell se-600 36v power supply, DROK power module, cpu fan driven heat sinks, and chanzon cob led's to test. I originally ordered a 48v version of the power supply and noticed that it had an on board potentiometer for voltage adjustment. There is also a port next to it that I'll need to research. Comparing this power supply with the hlg-600 is an interesting read. They are pretty close in specs, but if course differing in functionality. The DROK will hopefully fill this gap.

If this works effectively, I've drastically lowered the cost of entry level led lighting. If this all fails, at least someone tried =)

I'll probably create a separate thread documenting the journey.
Attachments
Chanzon cob led
Chanzon cob led
Info sheet side 1
Info sheet side 1
NealTaber
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi...according to me If you need to buck your voltage just buy a quality LM2596 board. For boost, go with XL6009.
You can find one with an onboard meter volts and/or amps for $8-12. Sharp eyes might find a CC pot.

low volume pcb assembly
Last edited by NealTaber on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenophon
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I was able to wire a 19.5v Dell laptop power supply directly to a 2-foot Bridgelux EB Gen2 strip without issues. My meter shows a steady 19.6v. It's been stable and just slightly warm for over a week running nonstop now. I plan on getting a bunch more of these strips to run in parallel off this power supply. I will update with results.
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

xenophon wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:08 pm
I was able to wire a 19.5v Dell laptop power supply directly to a 2-foot Bridgelux EB Gen2 strip without issues. My meter shows a steady 19.6v. It's been stable and just slightly warm for over a week running nonstop now. I plan on getting a bunch more of these strips to run in parallel off this power supply. I will update with results.
Any update?
Was the strip pulling the proper amperage from the driver?
xenophon
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I haven't had the money to buy more strips; rather, my girlfriend thinks buying non-essentials like food and gasoline are more important than critical scientific research.

The strip pulls around .95 amp. Still working great. nonstop.
Jack55
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

So you are getting 950mA from just one EB2 strip? That is much better than I expected and significantly higher than the spec sheet would indicate. I hope to test my 4x strips on my 19.5 power supply soon - will report back then.
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

That is an interesting point. The strip is pulling quite a bit more currant at that voltage than the data sheet indicates
Jack55
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Have you tested the voltage that the power supply is outputting? Maybe it is putting out an additional 1v. I persevered last night and finally got one strip up and running. I tested and it was pulling 19.6v initially and got up to .51A before shutting it down for the night. I need to test it again once it gets fully heated up - my shop is pretty cold but I don't expect it to get anywhere near .95A