Samsung LMl301H "ONE"

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Adam
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Came across this led in some marketing brochure. Seems like a interesting way forward but very vague.
Q What is your opinion, as an expert, on "One Package" that Samsung Electronics will show soon?
Compared with existing modules (white with expensive red packages), the total module cost can be
significantly reduced and management costs can also be reduced in terms of inventory management.
In addition, it is expected that growth uniformity can be obtained by increasing the uniformity of PPFD
in the cultivation space through the use of a single package.
https://cdn.samsung.com/led/file/resour ... 190627.pdf

page13

whether these are tunable or not would be good to know. Not sure on the initial spectrum presented but I like the direction its moving towards.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Performance isn't fantastic by the look of it. Over the next year Samsung is going to have a very hard time competing with common Chinese semiconductors. I believe Samsung will drop off on performance in comparison to cree, lumileds and just about everyone else that buys Chinese chips including myself. I can easily put perform them already at a good price.
Big price war on its way soon I think as performance is going to even out.
It is interesting how they have removed the blue though. I do not see an advantage in removing so much blue, I want to add more blue not less.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Adam
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I like the idea behind it. I also like the look of the spectrum simulation tool.

Having the bigger companies focusing on horticulture and having a price war, can only be a positive thing for growers.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I can't see Samsung having the versatility of smaller companies, they will make a few products and push them like crazy but a lot of the time those products are not what people want.
As far as price wars go they are good for the consumer usually until unique companies can't compete anymore then it doesn't benefit anyone
0 to 220
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Wow, this is the best LED spectrum graph I have ever seen. According to the research of dr. Bruce Bugbee and others this ratio of B:R is great, and why HPS does so well. I've not yet (personally) seen a spectrum where the makers of the light are aware of how good the yellow/green light is (again why HPS does so well)

From what I have read, I think green might be better supplementation than 660nm

Huh, now that would be a side by side! 3000K vs 3000K+660nm vs 3000K+500-560nm
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I am definitely interested in the directions samsung takes for horticulture, since they likely really research the subject at a totally different level compared to assemblers.

So soon they will have one product with unusually much blue, and one with unusually little. Both spectrums special enough to make it slightly difficult to predict results.

And they are focusing on cost effective solutions, which will probably help them survive the period of over supply that they see increasing in the market.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
grisbi
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

i join you @TEKNIK i dont get it why people put off the blue for red on theire spectrum!
we need the both, need the blue and red!
0 to 220
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Here's why people want less blue:
Although wheat, and possibly all grasses, appears to have minimal sensitivity to spectral quality (Dougher and Bugbee, 2001); tomatoes are exquisitely sensitive; cucumbers, radishes and peppers have intermediate sensitivity; soybeans and lettuce have low sensitivity (Snowden et al., 2016).
(Bugbee 2016, Toward an optimal spectral quality for plant growth and development: the importance of radiation capture)
Recent studies have examined a range of BL fractions and
found highest dry mass for lettuce, radish and pepper between about 5 and 15% BL. Cope
and Bugbee [10] and Cope et al. [11] found that dry mass and leaf area decreased above 15%
BL for lettuce, radish and pepper. Hernández and Kubota [12] reported decreased dry mass
and leaf area for cucumber when the BL fraction increased above 10% with a pure RL background. In a greenhouse study, Hernández and Kubota [13] found that dry mass and leaf
area of cucumber decreased with increasing BL. Wang et al. [14] found that lettuce shoot
dry mass steadily decreased as BL increased from 8 to 50%. Dougher and Bugbee [15]
described histological effects of BL on development of lettuce and soybean and found that
increased BL decreased cell expansion and division in the stems and leaves of soybean. Interestingly, Son and Oh [16] reported the highest fresh and dry mass of lettuce at 0% BL (pure
red light), but the plants were chlorotic and etiolated.
Among the broad spectrum treatments at the higher PPF, increasing BL in four increments from 11 to 28% reduced
dry mass in tomato, cucumber, and pepper by 22, 26, and 14% respectively, but there was no
statistically significant effect on radish, soybean, lettuce and wheat. At the lower PPF, dry mass
was reduced by 41% in tomato, but the effects of BL on the other species were less than 6% and
were not statistically significant
(Snowden 2016, Sensitivity of Seven Diverse Species to Blue and Green Light: Interactions with Photon Flux)

Good reads

Not saying I'm 100% on board, blue light surely brings about other differences. But the dry weight numbers don't lie.
Last edited by 0 to 220 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

With phosphor converted LEDs the blue is pretty much free. I do not believe high amounts of it should be used, I am more interested in a broad blue rather than a 450nm blue spike, but with phosphor conversion that blue spike comes free of charge.
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:08 am
I can't see Samsung having the versatility of smaller companies, they will make a few products and push them like crazy but a lot of the time those products are not what people want.
As far as price wars go they are good for the consumer usually until unique companies can't compete anymore then it doesn't benefit anyone
Aloha & Like a 5.4K horticulture strip? I thought Valoya may be adding too much blue at 4.6k.
Last edited by Marine2143 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.