Bridgelux EB Gen 2 Build - Best options for UV/Emerson Effect

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
salem.grows
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi there,

So I am looking at building a new light fixture with the Bridgelux eb gen 2 strips in the 2ft configuration,

I am looking at building a 4x4 fixture for flower, I do also veg for an additional 2 weeks in the flower tent before switching to 12/12. I would like to have control over the white /red/far red / UV channels to play around with my spectrum throughout the cycle. My question would be how might I best add these additional spectrums to my build? I have been playing around with the idea of using Cutter strips of some kind, however each of their options seem to sacrifice one of my goals. Either the strip is an undesirable length or the channels are not individually controllable.

I plan to run the white bridgelux strips at or under 700ma to forgo the need to purchase expensive heatsinks, on a HLG 480. In addition to this I plan to run 4 x 4 foot stips vertically in each corner of the tent on a HLG-120.

Currently I forsee using 5 drivers, 2 for white, 2 for Red, 1 for UV. This may be terribly in efficient so I am open to a whole redesign also. My reasoning for this was I planned on purchasing a bluefish controller in a years time when the budget is available.

Thanks!

Salem
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Sounds like you want a lot of spectrum control, cutter sol strips and illumi meshtek will probably be the easiest option for you.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
JayKell
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

If you're running EB Gen 2 strips, might this build be on a budget? If so, the Thomas research products drivers at digikey are a great value. So are the older gen leds at stevesleds.com (although lower efficiency). The drivers can be tuned for output with a 5v pwm signal or you can put them on a hacked TC420 ($25) if you're not afraid to solder.

TC420 hack for 5v pwm:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20-d ... ics/980633

Edit: as I understand it, Emerson effect is only available at low lighting levels and is pretty much wiped out with higher levels of white light. I am certainly no authority on this though, so take it with a grain of salt and do your own research...
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I built an Emmerson supplement using the photo red LED's from rapid led earlier this year. Unfortunately I didn't get to test the actual effect (in terms of longer on time than the eb2 white light). 185wats worth in 2p2s system.

I will be using them properly for my next indoor grow, (UN)fortunately my current grow went outside.

As for UV, I went with solacure lights. Very happy with them and the results. But pricey. Watching this thread to see what you end up doing!

Good luck!
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

As teknik said, you might also benefit having the heart of your system as the cutter tunable strips, but they do cost a bit more!

I also believe the research on the emerson effect specified its a low power phenomena, but that said I have not read modern literature on 660/ 730 ratios and functions, just know if 730nm is too high theres a shade avoidance reaction. Marine just posted some far red research, had the tab open for a while never got to it. If I had 730 for sleep initiation, I would definitely also run it during lights on.

Cutter has great options on the stuff your looking for. You can choose to make your xpg-3 red pump from pucks with 1-4 diodes, or the 3 diode mini strips. He also has the 3 diode mini strips for xpg2 730nm. There are 3 and 4 diode pucks with different combos of UVA, not sure if he already knows when the 50mw UVC diode is coming in.

If your not scared to attach a diode to a starboard, you can get the 10mw seoul semi conductor UVC diodes at digikey, and they also have other 4 and 8mw diodes on starboards.
Solacure is a way more mature tech for cannabis UV, and also its exponentially more powerful. For price its all relative. I payed about 50$ for a 14mw system, the output is probably not even 1% of what solacure puts out for similar prices :lol:
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
salem.grows
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thank you for all the great advice,

I think in terms of the UV, solacure is going to be the way to go, much more UVB than any leds i can find and the owner seems to be genuinely helpful so am happy to vote with my dollars here.

I think for the drastic price savings I may go with the Bridgelux eb 2 strips for my White channel and suppliment with some 660 strips spaced between, I may just use one of the mixed 660/720 strips on a single channel and stop worrying about Deep/Far red manipulation and more on timing with this boosted red spectrum.

From what I can tell from your advice as well as further research through the forums, Using the reds throughout lights on + 15 minutes at the end will be best, and using the Solcacure bulbs 2-6 hours a day will give me the most notible results at my price range
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

For the sleep initiation, you would need to have 730nm on its own channel. Would not need many though.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

salem.grows wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:01 pm
I think in terms of the UV, solacure is going to be the way to go, much more UVB than any leds i can find and the owner seems to be genuinely helpful so am happy to vote with my dollars here.
That's awesome man, glad to have helped and you truly won't regret theses bulbs. Could you do me a favor and tell Dennis, the Albertan / Canadian who ordered a bunch a bulbs in this May is veeerrrrrrryy satisfied with everything.

Cheers